Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1992 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2013 6:31 AM by KellieRizer RSS
Lindsey Cobb Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2013 7:50 AM

Shoe Advise?

Hello everyone!

I am new to the running/jogging thing and I started reasearching good shoes. WOW is it overwhelming!

I wanted to ask those of you who have also just started to seasoned marathoners about what shoe they recommend?

I know everyone is different and I assure you I will take this into consideration when finally purchasing a pair, however some help to narrow down the selctions would be GREATLY appreciated!

A little about me:

5' 6'' - approximately 200lbs

VERY beginner jogger/walking

I have no problem investing in a pair of shoes that are expensive as long as they work well for me

I have high arches so support is a MUST

I have signed up for quite a few 5k run/walk that are specifically labeled for beginners to seasoned runners so I do not over exert myself. But I want to start off how I intend to go, which is why I really want to invest in good quality sneakers from the get-go.

I really appreciate all of the advise anyone can give me!

Happy running!

-Lins

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    1. Oct 16, 2013 7:57 AM (in response to Lindsey Cobb)
    Shoe Advise?

My advice is to go to a running store and have them analyze your run. Some have a treadmill that they film you , others have you run like 4 yards in front of them. They can help you find the right shoe for you.  The three running stores around my house let you try them for 30 days and if you have problems with them, they allow you to exchange them.

I went through 3 pairs before I found the right ones but I have low arches so they probably aren't for you. 

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Oct 16, 2013 10:44 AM (in response to Lindsey Cobb)
    Shoe Advise?

What Fluffy said.

Not everyone is created equal; there are so many differences between the physical model from one person to the next, and then amplify that by how said physical model is used while running, and the last place you'll be wanting to get advice is from a bunch of runners on the internet (and trust me, we're not shy when it comes to giving an opinion).

True story:

I've been running for over four decades and have a pretty good feel for what I need in a shoe, even still, on my last trip to the running shoe store (almost exactly a month ago) I had to try on over 30 (yes THIRTY) different makes and models before I found a pair which fit my needs.  Even still, prior to trying the new shoes on, I would have bet big money they wouldn't even be close to what I needed.  Go figure.

• KellieRizer Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 13, 2012
    3. Nov 4, 2013 6:31 AM (in response to Lindsey Cobb)
    Shoe Advise?

Hey Lindsey!

I just wrote a blog post about choosing the right running shoe brand. You can read it here:

http://keeprunninkellie.com/2013/11/04/comparing-running-shoe-brands/

I hope that helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...