Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

463 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 16, 2013 10:24 AM by Chris Keiner
SydnieS Rookie 4 posts since
May 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2013 8:13 AM

Training for boston marathon2014

Got in 2014 boston marathon.. Barely by 2 seconds... Very excited for my first boston... My question is on what to do between now and jean when I start a 12 week training program?  In the best running shape right now.. Have run a couple half marathons and feel great now.. Don't want lose anything but don't want to over train either... I'm 46.. 1:33 half and 3:23 marathon. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks. Rob

• Chris Keiner Rookie 1 posts since
    May 13, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 16, 2013 10:24 AM (in response to SydnieS)
    Training for boston marathon2014

First of all, Congratulations! I went through a similar experience last year. I can tell you what NOT to do!

I had qualified for Boston 2013 and just finished Harrisburg in 11/2012, to try and move up in the corrals. Mission accomplished. My big mistake was that I only took about 10 days off after Harrisburg and started running again. Too soon!

I tried to stretch my 12 week workout into 16 weeks, with three, 'Easy weeks' intermixed with the training. I ended up injuring my foot (plantar). I gutted out a 3 hr Boston. At the time, I was ecstatic since it was my first Boston, but in retrospect I felt I coud have done much better.

At least I'm hoping to do so this year.

Enough about me! Stick to your plan! Avoid over training! Walk away from runnning for a bit, so you're really charged about it when you start! I really believe resting is as important as running.

Hope this helps.

Chris

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points