Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1275 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2013 8:00 PM by lenzlaw
SpartanJD01 Amateur 22 posts since
Aug 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2013 11:00 AM

Full Tights - Weather Issues

I started C25K this year.  I'm running a half this Sunday.  It will take me 3 hours but I know I can do it.  Fortunately, we have had lovely fall weather and I have had no opportunity to run in a pair of compression running tights that I bought.  Sunday's forecast is low of 36 with 40% chance of rain.  Had low 50s and sprinkles a few weeks ago and managed that without the pants (wishing now I would have wore them anyway).  I have seen many suggestions not to run in untested gear.  I could do a mile or 2 in the pants this week to make sure there are no weird rubs, but I am not going to be able to mimic the temp.   I can take an extra shirt/gloves etc and shed them if its too much.  Cant do that easily with tights.

Any suggestions?

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Oct 16, 2013 11:13 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)

I've been in any number of races where gear, often expensive gear, gets abandoned along the course.  Regarding your tights, I would simply put them on over a pair of compression shorts and take them off if things get too warm for you.  The good thing about tights is that instead of abandoning them, you can tie the legs around your waist after you take them off.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Oct 16, 2013 12:23 PM (in response to SpartanJD01)

Good suggestion by shipo on the layers but definitly go for a test run first.  I'm not sure how comfortable 2 layers of compression would be for a half.  I have a friend who wore his compression tights for the first time on race morning for a 10K and he said it was a huge mistake.  I've done a few races in the cold and rain and you'd be surprised at fast you warm up even in bad weather.  Make sure you have some warm dry cloths to put on at the finish.  Hopefully the weather forecast will change for the better by the weekend and you wont have to worry about it! Good luck!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Oct 16, 2013 8:00 PM (in response to Julie Ann Hackett)

You would do better to wear the pants from a wind suit if you have them.  They are roomier and much easier to add/subtract than tights.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...