Skip navigation

40192 Views 87 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2010 5:56 AM by lizzy24 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jun 27, 2007 6:11 AM (in response to dojojenn)
    Re: Has anyone raced pregnant?

Kick booty dodojen!! please give us a race report! good luck and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• darrel4 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    47. Jul 2, 2007 2:43 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I once raced (and repeat, once) when my wife was pregnant. I still bear the scars to prove it. The emotional scar from her telling me I was the most self centered moron on the planet. (Babys timing was terrible, I was in an airport 500 miles away) and the physical scar from her actually belting me when I got home.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    49. Jul 9, 2007 2:35 PM (in response to dojojenn)

congrats to you and the little one(s?).

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• charity14 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 10, 2007
    50. Jul 10, 2007 8:27 PM (in response to dojojenn)
    I have! And my baby rocks!

I did an Olympic distance tri last year when I was only about 3 weeks pregnant. Obviously I didn't know. I was wondering why the run seemed like the longest 10k of my life...Then when I was about 10 weeks prego I ran a 10k race with my baby's grandfather and he didn't even know I was pregnant! Talk about stomach pain! I had cramps left and right!

It's true that there's always a chance of having a big bike wreck during a tri and endangering the fetus. But I still think that it's great you did it. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

• Back in the Saddle Amateur 45 posts since
    Dec 29, 2007
    51. Sep 8, 2008 5:30 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I have been running pregnant and  the only problem that I've experienced was the nausea of the first trimester. I'm midway through my second trimester and have run 11 miles in the past two days with six miles planned for tomorrow morning. The biggest issue with people is that they think that I am going to literally die when I'm out running due to my "delicate" condition.  Western society is one of the few places where pregnant women are treated as fragile- look at our ancestors, though. If humans weren't able to run during pregnancy, we probably would be extinct right now. I'm glad to hear your tri went well, and I hope you keep on running!

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. -FDR
  • lindssimon Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    52. Jul 7, 2009 2:33 PM (in response to dojojenn)

Everyone thought I was nuts for doing a 10k race this weekend. I just found out I am having a girl so I am half way there. I ended up placing 1st woman. I felt good throughout the race (besides having to go pee every second). Just make sure you are not out of breath because if you are, so is your baby. Also, as long as you are not cramping you are just fine. I just had to keep reminding myself I am pregnant and this is temporary. I can always do it again next year and do better.  Your baby's health is #1 right now. If you are used to running and various activities you will do just fine.

• HeatherRS Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 18, 2008
    53. Jul 7, 2009 2:51 PM (in response to dojojenn)

Great Job!!  Good luck for any future runs you participate in.

• nanners108 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 18, 2009
    54. Jul 7, 2009 3:39 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I was six weeks pregnant and had the okay to do a sprint tri. I was in great shape. I finished the tri and then I lost my baby.

• pneal Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    55. Jul 8, 2009 2:31 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I have three kids and have been doing endurance stuff for 15 years.  I ran during my pregnancies and survived and had people telling me I shouldn't be running, etc.  The physical activity associated with a short race like a sprint is likely not an issue, BUT wiping out on a bike at 15-20 mph is.  I know it sounds cool to say you did a triathlon pregnant, but it is kind of silly if you think about it.  In the unlikely event you did miscarry, you would always wonder if the race contributed and you wouldn't forgive yourself.  My vote is bag the race and go volunteer for it instead. 

If you want something to REALLY prove how tough you are , sign up for a race three months AFTER.

• jldowne Amateur 32 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    56. Jul 8, 2009 3:07 PM (in response to dojojenn)

If your doctor says it's okay, then go for it as long as you feel comfortable and healthy.

I just completed an Olympic distance triathlon two

weeks ago and was 6 weeks pregnant. I actually felt GREAT thanks to good weather and no morning sickness.

I am happy I competed. I also plan to compete in at least 1-2 additional sprint triathlons yet this summer/fall.

I ran a marathon when I was 8 weeks pregnant with my first child and now this is my third pregnancy. Would not recommend the marathon

running, even though my doctor said it was fine as long as I was properly trained and stayed hydrated and cool. The weather was cool

then, too, but I did have morning sickness and had to walk most of the last 4 miles of the race. Regardless, both of my first two children

were born extremely healthy (both weighing almost 8 pounds) and SMART.

My oldest is reading at a third grade level and she just completed kindergarten...she is my marathon baby. I like to

say it's from the exercise, but everyone just rolls their eyes at me. You will always have ignorant individuals who will throw "wives tales" at you

about working out when you are pregnant. It's irritating and somewhat embarrassing at times, but you can do what feels good to your body. If it

hurts, don't do it. You are not going to hurt a fetus in the first trimester by riding a bike or even crashing with a tire blow-out. The baby is so

small that you would have to have your stomach punctured or take a direct blow to that specific area. One of my doctors laughs about

how she went downhill skiing while 7 or 8 months pregnant. I think that's crazy, but racing in your early months is fine in my opinion.

Also, you should stay off the bike after 4-5 months because your balance is thrown off considerably after that. Your doctor will tell

you this later on most likely. You can tell just by the way you will feel too, in most cases. But, spin classes and in

home bike trainer work wonders for keeping your bike fitness up.

Another thing I have noticed is that my breathing gets off while swimming, so shorter distances are more comfortable. Hopefully

that will get better in the second trimester!

Good luck!!! I love chatting with other pregnant female athletes... When people try to make you feel like

you are selfish or doing something wrong, try to remember that they are most likely JEALOUS that they didn't

think of it while they were pregnant. Enjoy health...it's proven that exercise during pregnancy HELPS the situation!!!

You will bounce back quickly and feel more confident and alive. And, this will in turn make you a better parent.

Sorry, this is something I feel very strongly about!

Jen

Mother of two beautiful girls (6 and 3) and expecting number 3 baby in February 2010

• jldowne Amateur 32 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    57. Jul 8, 2009 3:14 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I am guessing that the guy who made the crack comment has either A) NEVER HAD CHILDREN or B) is a male that expects his wife to sit around eating and laying on the couch while pregnant while he is out racing and hitting the bars...just a guess. My husband is one of the most supportive people in the world and he supports my decisions to race and workout while pregnant. If she were riding a bicycle at 20 mph during the second trimester that would be a DIFFERENT STORY!   Sorry you had to get a comment like that...although you have handled it well and seem like you are fully aware of the riks (or lack their of). This woman is a cycling instructor (by the way, so am I). She is a fit individual!!!

• lindssimon Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    58. Jul 8, 2009 4:02 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I have always loved to run and compete in races. I previously mentioned I just did a 10k race and placed 1st woman. I am pregnant with #3 and have done so with all three. I did have a miscarriage between 2 and 3. My doctor told me that running did not cause the miscarriage. She told me that running will not cause a miscarriage to a "well attached baby."  My husband constantly reminds me to take it easy like I am disabled or something. I too am not going to sit around and eat bon bons all day.  I have been told numberous times, as long as you are not in pain or exhuasted you are just fine to exercise. Enjoy exercise as long as you can! It has made my last two deliveries and post pregnancies so much easier. I feel stronger and bounce back faster to my pre-pregnancy weight.  Good luck ya'll!

• Trigirl 4 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    59. Jul 8, 2009 6:46 PM (in response to dojojenn)

Racing while 3-5 weeks pregnant is one thing - implantation has basically just begun. Racing while 10 weeks is another. Placental insufficiency (which can be caused from a decrease in blood flow through the placenta) has been shown to cause a multitude of problems in infants - one being neurological complications. Exercise can be safe during pregnancy (I ran until 13 weeks of pregnancy and had 3 healthy children), but in moderation and by keeping an eye on your heart rate. You can find articles to support keeping a reasonable heart rate and those that refute it (make sure you check the credibility and number of research subjects) - but basic common sense tells you a high heart rate will shunt blood and therefore oxygen away from your placenta and baby. Also, a growing abdomen throws off your balance and can result in falls from a bike. I say, don't race - stick to a spinning bike and do the events solo. I work in a NICU and not all OBs are up to date in perinatology.

To lindssimon - activities like running can definately cause a misscarriage or premature baby to a "well-attached baby" - such as an incompetent cervix!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...