Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

40825 Views 87 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2010 5:56 AM by lizzy24 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • hockeye Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 6, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Jul 9, 2009 6:26 AM (in response to dojojenn)
    Re: Has anyone raced pregnant?

I raced pregnant four years ago and like you I was about ten weeks pregnant.  I found out I was pregnant about three weeks before the race, just kept thinking I had a bug or something until I finally took the pregnancy test.  On my first prenatal visit with a new doctor, he okayed the race.  I had been training for eight months and knew I would take it easy.  It was my first triathlon and one of those women-only sprint tris, so the distances were short and the atmosphere was more supportive than competitive.  My goal was to finish.  I trained with a friend and we raced together.

The race went great.  I could only do the breast stroke for the swim but I made it.  The biking went great (I'm most comfortable on the biking leg anyway).  For the run, I just walked except across the finish line. 

I kept exercising until I delivered in December.  I always felt like I was training to stay healthy during my pregnancy and for childbirth, and I needed to train because I gave birth without any drugs to a healthy nine pound baby boy.  He is now a healthy and wonderful three year old.

Like other people who have posted, I think you know your body and your capabilities better than anyone else.  Hope this helps.

• lindssimon Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    61. Jul 9, 2009 7:52 AM (in response to dojojenn)

I agree with hockeye- you are the only one who knows your body and what you are capable of.

• brookeestensen Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 5, 2007
    62. Jul 9, 2009 10:55 AM (in response to dojojenn)

Congratulations!

I am 13 weeks pregnant myself.  I was unsure about running a 10 mile leg in a relay race around Lake Tahoe a few weeks ago, when I was 10 weeks.  My doctor said to just continue what I had been doing before I was pregnant and listen to my body.  She advised to make sure I did not get too hot and stop if I felt sick/nauseous.  I asked if my teammates would help run if I didn't feel up to completing my leg and they agreed.  I ended up doing the entire thing and it felt great!  Being in labor is like running the biggest marathon of your life so it is good to be in shape for it!

Just my 2 cents...

• Vincent Gemayel Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 24, 2009
    63. Jul 10, 2009 8:12 PM (in response to dojojenn)

First off congratulations !http://community.active.com/message/625116/!! I have never myself witness anyone who looked pregnant during a race but  I dont know that no one ever has at a race I have been at. I would say the same as the second post that just dont over exert yourself. Be smart about what it is that you do. Make sure that you heart rate doesnt sky rock that would be the other thing to watch for but other than that. I believe if your doctor gave you an OK. You should be good to go.

Vincent G

Trys4Dummies.com

• AshleyT Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 8, 2007
    64. Jul 11, 2009 3:35 PM (in response to Vincent Gemayel)

I am 27 weeks pregnant and have run throughout this pregnancy.  I have passed on triathlons (because I'm weak at them) but I still run 5K and 10K races. 

I go 1-2 minutes slower per mile than I did pre-pregnancy and enjoy it.

For the first 3 months, the only time I wasn't throwing up was when I was running, and in the 2nd trimester it has felt great to keep moving!  Besides, like someone else said, no one wants to be passed by the pregnant lady so you motivate others to pick up their paces!

My tips for running/exercise:

- Increase your warm up time from 5 minutes to 10-15 of walking.

- Dump water on your head any chance you get.

- Belly band around the bottom of your waist offer great support.

- Baby Powder & body glide are super helpful.

- Remember those ICE BATHS you take after long runs?  Perfect to prevent swelling/water retention later! (I keep the baby out of the ice water though)

- Compression socks rock!  Feel SO good after a run.

- CliffShots okay, Gu NOT okay.  Luna sports drink okay, most other sports drinks (including NUUN) not okay.

Happy Racing!!!

• jknapp19 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    65. Jul 13, 2009 8:35 AM (in response to dojojenn)

First off Congrats!! It's a wonderful thing, isn't it?  Second, do what you, your doctor and your family know is best!  Third, I did my first triathlon, Olympic distance at 9 weeks pregnant with my third child.  Every four hours I was taking a Zofran tablet to fight the nausea.  This is the same medication that cancer patients take during Chemo and coincidentally I was racing with the Team In Training raising funds for Leukemia and Lymphoma research.  I knew that while still in my first trimester there was little I could do or not do that would harm my baby.  I had a great race and went on to enjoy the rest of my healthy pregancy and delivered a beautiful boy who is now 7 1/2 months old.  I am back on the Tri circuit and feel better than ever!

Enjoy!

• HBBland Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 10, 2009
    66. Jul 13, 2009 4:18 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I have raced pregnant....I was about 8 or 10 wks and did a duathlon.  My doctor was aware of my exercise regime and told me to really listen to my body.  I did not race after that, but continued to run up until 3mos--too uncomfortable after that, then walked, but biked constantly-both road and mountain biked up til about 8 months.  I swam alot too.  I did use a heart rate monitor wheneve xercised and kept my HR below 155-160.  My doctors felt that the better shape I stayed in the healthier my pregnancies would be and the easier recovery I would have after delivery.  Good luck to you!

• cats24ever Rookie 2 posts since
    May 19, 2009
    67. Jul 14, 2009 7:36 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I am 25 weeks now and about to do my second tri.  My first tri was two weeks ago, but I only did the swimming, and still only going to do the swimming.  I've always ben active, and my Doc approve!  If you are comfortable with it, and you are doing it for fun don't let anyone hold you back!

• panontin Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009
    69. Jul 21, 2009 4:52 AM (in response to dojojenn)

Given that the medical proffession can never be 100% sure of any claims made regarding safe practices while pregnant, why would you risk anything as important as your pregnancy?  Keep in mind that its just a race and there will be many more to come in the future.  You might regret the fact that you missed the race for a few weeks after the fact but if anything happens to your baby, you'll regret that for the rest of your life!

• Krista Edwards Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    70. Jul 21, 2009 5:15 PM (in response to dojojenn)

you are most definitly not selfish... you are on your way to a healthy pregnancy. I raced throughout both of my pregnancies, distances of up to a marathon and olympic distance tris.  In fact, I start my third trimester next week and have a long sprint lined up for this weekend.  mostly for the post race pancakes. If you had been doing it and feel comfortable  keep going.  your body will actually regulate you. it will slow you down if you need to slow down, and i guarantee you will automatically be more cautious on a technical course.  mommy instinct. the only real danger are other non cautious riders....and if you go that route, you shouldnt be riding in a car, a plane, etc as they are just as likely to crash, with a much more traumatic outcome.  As for the "competitive" again your body will regulate you, so take this opportunity to actually enjoy racing without so much focus

I am a USAT level one coach and personal trainer, and i know how hard it is to find information on  pregnant athletes, so feel free to email me at lifguardkw@hotmail.com and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

• jldowne Amateur 32 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    71. Jul 22, 2009 5:05 AM (in response to dojojenn)

I am impressed with all of the amazing women who have posted on here!!! This is an old post but apparently it needs immediate attention. Krista, enjoyed reading your post because you are very right in saying there is not enough information out there on this topic. I have finally started telling some of the other gals I train with that I am pregnant and when most of them found out I raced at six weeks they showed immediate stress and disbelief. I knew in my own heart that I was careful and could have talked through the entire bike and run portion of the race (hence the slower time than I was originally shooting for) but they were still very concerned. Lets hope we can help educate others about pregnancy and fitness!

Krista, tried to shoot you an email but it wouldn't go through...was wondering if you had any recommendations for yoga or core strengthening at-home DVDs for me to use during pregnancy. I am okay with a pregnancy-specific workout as long as it is not catered to someone who likes to lay around and do nothing. I want to get the health and fitness benefits while also helping my pregnancy and labor. I don't do a lot of yoga now, but did it at the gym with my first two pregnancies and enjoyed it. However, with two other small children, a very busy spouse, and a part-time position as a fitness instructor yoga at the gym just isn't fitting into my schedule. Would appreciate the input of ANYONE on this. Would love to have a 30-40 minute yoga routine that possibly includes some SAFE abdominal work (planks, etc.). I have done the P90X yoga and LOVE IT but feel it may be a bit too much. Thoughts on this??? THANKS LADIES!

JLDOWNE

Mother of 2 beautiful daughters (6 and 3) and expecting #3 baby in February 2010!

• lindssimon Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    72. Jul 22, 2009 7:58 AM (in response to jldowne)

I would also like to know of some good pregnancy DVDs i can do at home to change it up from running. I am also due with another girl in November (and have a 6 and 3 year old girls).

Krista- two years ago I was training for a marathon and 2 weeks before the race I threw my back out. I couldnt walk for a couple weeks and it took over a month to start running again. This is my first pregnancy since that happened. I have noticed a lot of lower back pain (almost feels like my back is going to go out again). I have been using a back support band. Any exercises you would recommend? Do you know if its safe to be professionally adjusted while pregnant? Thanks for any info.

• Krista Edwards Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    73. Jul 22, 2009 8:40 AM (in response to lindssimon)

-

okay, sorry ladies, maybe i should make sure I spell things correctly- left out the "e" it is lifeguardkw@hotmail.com. as for the yoga, it is not exactly my specialty area, so i would hesitate to make many recommendations there.  as for the core conditioning, there are just a few guidelines to follow

• due to all of the relaxin that is being released in your body, your joints are pretty loose and therefore less stable.  Because of this it is wise to limit your range of motion on some exercises, such as squats and leg extensions, as it is to much pressure on an unstable knee and hip joint.

• because of the instability, DO work the smaller core muscles of the hips by doing things such as single leg squats and single leg deadlifts.  another easy way to incorporate this is to stand on one foot or in tree pose while doing upper body exercises such as lateral raises, curls, etc.

• Try to keep your weight load to thirty pounds or less.  again, this is due to the instability of the joints.  wont hrt the baby if you lift more, but there is a big risk to your structural integrity.

• Dont do exercises lying on your back after the first trimester.  instead do them at a slight incline or tip your hips slightly to one side or the other, as the uterus compresses blood flow from the aorta

• DONT do lunges, step ups etc.  these exercises place to much opposing force on opposite sides of the pelvic girdle which is very lose.  this may cause the symphisis pubis or the cartilage disc between the pubic bone to slip.

• as for planks, there is alot of conflicting information about the safety of isometric holds, as they have been shown to spike blood pressure.  i tend to steer clear of those with my clients, at least until they can prove more conclusively as to their safety.

• avoid overhead movements after the seventh month.  same as above, havent conclusivly been found acceptable.

As for the back injury, i would suspect at this point in your pregnancy (as I am also due in Nov) that it may be partially related to your previous injury, but it may also just be that time when the weight of the baby combined with the structural instability of the sacroilliac joint starts to rear its ugly head.  there are several exercises such as the quadruped, a standing swimmer, and the low back extension machine that will help that.  perhaps the one exercise that has helped me personally the most is ab holds where you draw your lower abdominals in, hold for ten seconds (remembering to breath) and release.  I try to do twenty of those at least every other day.  This keeps my Transverse Abs strong, which is the muscle group responsible for holding the belly up and still.  just some food for thought.  y address should be correct now if you have any other questions

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    74. Jul 27, 2009 5:24 PM (in response to dojojenn)

know someone who wants to keep swimming during her pregnancy is and looking for a nice maternity swimsuit - any recommendations?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...