Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

908 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2013 4:07 AM by Motvialim RSS
shipo Legend 447 posts since
Aug 9, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2013 11:41 AM

My first twelve-hundred mile year...

In 2009 I finally figured out that running on dirt allowed me to run without constantly getting injured due to an asymetrical stride which in turn is attributable to a severely broken leg from early 2003 (my surgeon told me I'd walk with a limp for the rest of my life and I'd never run again), and as my weekly/monthly mileage climbed I set my sights on averaging one-hundred miles a month for an entire year; something which has proven to be a very elusive goal.  That first year I didn't start running until April, and by year's end I'd managed just over 600 miles.  The next year (2010) started out well as I managed to run 300 miles through mid May, however, a work projected landed in my lap and suddenly work weeks between 60 and 80 hours became the norm; I didn't even manage to log another 200 miles for the remainder of the year.  The years 2011 and 2012 were just as bad as I traded lots of overtime with my one job in Boston for two nearly full-time jobs, the first (morning job) in Boston and the second (afternoon/evening job) in Concord, NH, 75 miles to the north; I managed only a total of 700 miles for both years combined.

This year didn't start out much better; I worked mornings in Boston and afternoons in Concord, and with the time pressures of long work days, lots of January through March snow, and a doctor enforced 4-week layoff due to cataract surgery, I had only logged 139 miles by the end of April.  I quit my job in Boston, slashed my commuting from roughly 4 hours per day to less than an hour and cut my work week from 60+ to exactly 40, and guess what I did with much of my newly found "spare time"?  Yup, I ran.

My May through October mileage went like this, 54, 136, 218, 254, 208.4, 227.6, and with the 139 I ran during the first four months of the year added in, I was sitting at 1,237 miles as of last night's run.  Looking back at my running logs from the late 1970s I see that prior to this year, my highest mileage year was 1979 when I ran just over 700 miles; assuming the snow gods don't dump too heavily upon us here in New Hampshire between now and the end of the year, I have an outside shot at beating my 1979 year by over 1,000 miles!  Not too shabby for an old fart. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...