Skip navigation

930 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2013 8:15 AM by Tyson2123 RSS
NextDrose Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 11, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 11, 2013 3:54 PM

Practice or Playing?

Im a 5'5" point guard in 9th grade who can finish against anyone and handle the ball. I practiced by myself for hours a day almost all summer. I perfected all the drills i did, and was a really good player at al the camps I went to. There is about a month until basketball tryouts for my high school. I go to the NYSC and have a free trial at the YMCA. At the NYSC no one ever plays with me and at the YMCA there are always games going on.I do really good clinics on the weekends too. Should I spend my last month before basketball tryouts working on my skills or getting game expirience?

• Kzai01 Amateur 30 posts since
    Oct 26, 2011
    1. Nov 12, 2013 2:39 PM (in response to NextDrose)
    Re: Practice or Playing?

Experience is always invaluable, when you play in games you get to see how well you can shoot or drive under pressure. This helps you know what to work on during practice. I'd say get a good combination of both, like when you waiting on next, practice your shot. Push yourself during games, use your weak hand frequently, tryout different crossovers, expand your range,shoot off the dribble. But make sure not to hurt your team while trying all this stuff and don't get injured.Good luck man.

• Tyson2123 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jul 30, 2013
    2. Nov 17, 2013 8:15 AM (in response to NextDrose)
    Practice or Playing?

NextDrose,

It has to be a mix.  If you spend all your time shooting, the other parts of your game will suffer.  If you only play in games, you won't be able to perfect your ball handling.

My coach growing up said that the game is like a test, and practice is like studying.  You have to study, but you also have you test yourself with games.  Keep it varied, and keep pushing yourself.

Do you live in NY?  I do basketball training in new york if you're intereted.

Message me on my website:  BasketballTrainingClub.com

Tyson

Founder, BasketballTrainingClub.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points