Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1397 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2014 6:40 PM by KneadtoRun
sunilfaz Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 19, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 19, 2013 6:46 PM

Running in the Cold

I live in Vancouver so right now its a little chilly but there's no snow or anything like that and Im still able to run outside. I went for a run today and it was pretty chilly and I felt that I didnt really sweat that much because it was so cold. Is running in the cold less of a workout or anything like that? Any information on this topic would help! Thanks!

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Nov 19, 2013 7:03 PM (in response to sunilfaz)
    Running in the Cold

Less of a workout?  No.  A different workout?  Yes.

Vancouver, at its coldest is still balmy compared to here in New Hampshire, and I run year round.  Hot and humid summer runs are typically at a much reduced pace if for no other reason that your body is spending so much energy trying to keep itself cool.  Running on a cold winter day means your body can concentrate on going fast.  Both are necessary elements of a well rounded training program, errr, at least in my humble opinion.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,432 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Nov 19, 2013 7:12 PM (in response to sunilfaz)
    Running in the Cold

Good question.  It is not less of a workout.  How much you sweat is a matter of how hard your body has to work to cool itself.  It doesn't have to work as hard when external temps are low because the cooler air readily carries away heat from the skin.  In warmer temps, you sweat more, and heat from your body evaporates the sweat, lowering skin temperature.

Len

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    3. Nov 26, 2013 10:23 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Running in the Cold

It's not less of a workout but you may sweat less. However, depending on your distance, don't forget to stay hydrated and fuel properly.  I would be more concerned about warm up.  I found out recently, the hard way, that going out running without proper warm up can cause problems.  So now I am catering to a bummed calf and have been pulled from road running for a few weeks while it heals. So I have to pool run.

So it is different but no less of a workout.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• KneadtoRun Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 7, 2014
    4. Feb 7, 2014 6:40 PM (in response to sunilfaz)
    Running in the Cold

Hey! Great question, I just did a blog post about the effects of cold weather running on your body and performance.

Hope you find this useful!

http://www.kneadtorun.org/#!Cold-Weather-Running-and-Your-Performance/cq9i/57D18B48-95F0-4662-93B0-A9426A36C476

For more helpful tips and updates, like my facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Knead-to-Run/626003940788324

Good luck and don't get discouraged if it takes time to adjust to training in the cold!

-Zeine Girl-

www.KneadtoRun.org

*Healthy Living From the Kitchen to the Streets*

twitter: @kneadtorun

instagram: @knead2run

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points