Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7208 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2013 12:29 AM by bbee42
newSue56 Rookie 2 posts since
May 30, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 20, 2013 1:09 PM

What can I do about my feet going numb?

Hi runners, joggers and woggers

I am still a new runner done about 14, 5K races, 1 10K. All of them slow....Bu i am finding lately when I run The top of my foot goes numb and sometimes around my ankle. Anyone else experience this or know what I can do to alleviate it? Thank you and keep running.

Sue

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Nov 20, 2013 1:37 PM (in response to newSue56)

How tight do you tie your shoes?

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • TheresaCallahan1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 13, 2013
    2. Nov 20, 2013 3:46 PM (in response to newSue56)

are your shoes a size or 2 larger than your normal shoe size?

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Nov 20, 2013 5:07 PM (in response to newSue56)

Hi, 8 is my regular shoe size, 8.5 is what I wear in running shoes. I also wear thin socks from under Armour and my running shoes have a wide toe box. You could also go to run store and they will have you run on treadmill and advise you on what running shoe you need. I should have done that before buying 5 different running shoes before I found a pair that is comfortable for me to run in.~ Maria

• circle t Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 14, 2011
    4. Nov 26, 2013 5:18 AM (in response to newSue56)

I had that happen. I was wearing the brooks ravinas and I really loved them. I guess my feet changed a bit and they just didn't fit me correctly anymore. I even had a session with the Brooks rep and he admitted that they just didn't have what I needed. I then had a fitting with the Newton rep. Ahhhhhhhhh

I have been one happy camper since. Another good thing about the Newton (cause they are expensive) is that you get a 30-60 day no questions return policy. Good luck and happy trails!

If you haven't seen the Newtons they are a totally different type of shoe. They have the lugs. Anyway give em a try. You won't regret it! 

• justfunnin8 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    5. Nov 26, 2013 6:26 AM (in response to newSue56)
    Re: What can I do about my feet going numb?

Try the elastic laces that triathletes use. They allow your foot to move a little at the top of the shoe and where you would normally tie them. It relieves the pressure on those spots. Most running shoe stores carry them.

You can also try YouTube vidoes on how to tie running shoe laces. There are many different ways to tie laces that relieve pressure in different parts of the foot.

Or as another posted stated, try a different pair of shoes.

• cegger53 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 5, 2007
    6. Nov 26, 2013 7:52 AM (in response to newSue56)

I'm a barefoot runner.  That means no shoes, not barefoot or minimalist shoes.  I have the same problem every spring for about a month, the toes on my right foot will fall asleep (go numb) and the numbness kind of works it's way back on my foot depending on how far I run.  After about a month or so of running the problem dissappers.  Maybe it's just that I have to burn off a little of that winter weight.  I really have no idea what causes it or why it stops happening after a while.  Everyone is talking about some problem you might have with your shoes.  It might not have anything at all to do with your shoes.  Maybe it's your running style or how or where your foot is hitting the ground.

Just wanted to thow my two cents in.

• db_woodall Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    7. Nov 26, 2013 8:05 AM (in response to newSue56)

Are you stretching?  Numbness can also be caused by a pinched nerve, either in the lower back or leg.  Prior to a run do not stretch, but do range-of-movement moves such as squats, lunges, leg lifts, butt kicks, etc, that activate the muscles and tendons in the legs and feet.  Walk a few minutes and insert a few brief (10-15 step) jogs. Now you're ready to run.  After the run, then do your stretching. Make sure you stretch your hamstrings, Achilles, calves, IT band, groin, lower back, etc.

?
  • harleyhon444 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 24, 2009
    8. Nov 28, 2013 7:42 PM (in response to newSue56)

Hello there! I am a long distance runner and experience the numbness in my feet sometimes too. My mom (who also runs) uses the elastic laces as one of   the previous responders noted and she also wears Newton shoes (noted by another responder above). Because this has happened to me in different shoes, I do not believe that my shoes are the problem. I find that if I continue running but move forward more onto the balls of my feet that the numbness goes away. It does not go away if I stop running and try to walk. Sometimes I also have to completely stop and bend over from the waist and do a big stretch. Hope this helps! Go runner go!

• bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    9. Dec 15, 2013 12:29 AM (in response to newSue56)

One thing that should be mentioned here, is that numbness in the feet is a possible sign of diabetes. 

I am not discounting any of the possible solutions listed here, and the stress that running puts on feet can certainly be responsible for numbness without diabetes.  But if it continues, it's worth getting checked out.

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points