Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12051 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 7:48 AM by SMARIETTA RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Michael. Community Moderator 516 posts since
Nov 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2013 2:49 PM

C25K WK1D1 - New Group Starting

Hi All,

I am starting C25K, actualy tonight will be day 2 once I get off the COUCH OF DOOM !!!!

Anyone else starting? Let's go through as a group and support each other as a team. We can end with a virtual 5K for fun. If interested let me know. If we do this right we need a team name. We can post our results, challenges and sucesses here and make it through together. I was a member of such a team back in 2007 called "The Long Haul". We had a great time with the team but as you can see I am back again after a long absence.

My name is Michael and I am 53. I am a fairlly recent transplant to North Carolina, I used to live in Los Angeles. Certainly it is a long distance from one side of the country to the other but I can to the conclusion I am bi-costal so what can I do. I know I am being a wimp but I think for a while my running will be in a gym on a treadmill.

Michael

• Kelly1066 Pro 108 posts since
    Jul 12, 2012
    1. Dec 5, 2013 11:47 AM (in response to Michael.)

I completed C25K last September but had to reply to this post to say that COUCH OF DOOM !!!! had me laughing pretty hard.  Best wishes with your running   Run on the treadmill, run outside, whatever... it's your running, do it the way that makes you happiest, right?  The best part is just doing it!

I write a running blog geared towards other new runners at http://www.iamrunningthis.com!

Couch to 5K graduate, September 2012

First 10K, June 2nd, 2013

First Half Marathon, September 2013

Twitter: @iamrunningthis

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    2. Dec 5, 2013 2:28 PM (in response to Michael.)

michael- I am in !

having alittle problem getting the reply function to operate.

Oct 3, 2009
    3. Dec 5, 2013 2:32 PM (in response to SMARIETTA)

OK------ that's better.

I am 51

like you  I have previously done the c25k.

Started  back in october 2009.

I eventually ran a half marathon in  the fall of 2010

kidney stones ( real monsters) derailed me in january 2011-and one thing lead to another.

Really looking forward to this- I remember it helped to have a group to hold ourselves accountable.

I work an active construction trade- but I am not as active as I used to be--- got my gym bag packed and ready to hit our indoor track  tommorrow morning at 8:00 AM

Stephen

Oct 3, 2009
    4. Dec 6, 2013 8:18 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

OK michael

I have W1D1 out of the way !

I gotta fess up here. I walk a lot- usually 3 to 7 miles a day with my dogs.

So---- these early intervals are not really a problem. This morning I walked the dogs about 3 miles-starting just before sun-up.

went to the gym a while after that and did the W1D1 intervals for 4 miles- feel fine.

Late afternoon I will walk the dogs another 2 miles  or so.

My previous experience with c25k--- is that it is QUITE manageable if you follow the prescribed work out schedule-and it can be a challenge to restrain yourself from doing too much,too early. At age 51 , a lifetime of climbing ladders, scrambling on scaffolding,squatting and crawling around--------- has my knees in a ---delicate ?--- condition.

don't leave me hanging here  Michael------- and I hope  some other folks are interested enough to join in.

Best wishes all,

Stephen

Oct 3, 2009
    6. Dec 8, 2013 8:48 AM (in response to Michael.)
    Re: C25K WK1D1 - New Group Starting

well congrats michael- you have  W1 out of the way- only 7 more to go.  It's just  a matter of time.

I hope you are approaching this with the same level of confidence that  I am-( and my confidence in this matter borders on arrogance ! LOL)

since we have both gone through c25k before- we  both know what to expect-and we both know we can do it-after all we have done it before-and in the not too distant past.

I did W1D2 this morning- so I am going to be a couple days behind you for a while- but eventually I will catch up.

I am the 4th generation of a 5 generation family business. We currently  repair/restore historic roofs,  pretty much exclusively  Slate and Ceramic tile roofs. when I first did the C25k program back in 2009 it was at a very active   time of the year for us.

This time I am doing c25k in the winter- basically I am on vacation for about the next 4 months---. since I am so well rested at this time of year I am going to make  a couple slight modifications to the c25k plan.

I have been walking with my dogs for about 7 miles a day total- so the c25k  sessions are just being exchange for some of that mileage. for example- I walked the dogs this morning for 3-1/2 miles at around sunrise-went to the gym and did  5 miles total there-and then late this afternoon I will walk the dogs another mile or so.

At the gym I walked 1-1/2 miles- then did the c25k work and then finished the rest of the mileage to hit 5 miles.

My plan is to  W1D1 two days in a row then do w1d2 two days in a row and then do w1d3  two days  in a row-and then start W2.

I am paying close attention to my knees and  if I get the slightest impression that I need to  start skipping days- I certainley will.

I pay carefull attention to my knees because I use them so hard in my line of work.

Other than that I am very active-especially for a big guy- so I am used to aches and pains ( they have been my constant companinions  for 30 years, LOL )

I do about 20 minutes of yoga at the gym after  I have my miles in. I rmember some basic poses, which are helpfull- but I haven't been to a yoga class since January  2012- so I am also re-starting yogas classes this  thursday night as well.

anyway michael- best wishes on W2D1 tommorrow.

I do not remotely think it will be the slightest problem for you-so just get to work, get it done and check it off your list !

Stephen

• StellaMooney Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 12, 2013
    9. Dec 12, 2013 3:16 AM (in response to Michael.)

New to this running world. I want to be "a runner" so bad :) I'm 35 and feel 105...and that ain't good!

Finished w1 last week and felt like a rock star. My goal this week was W2 on mon/wed/fri with weight training afterwards (new to that too). After week one I was so excited I told my husband he had to do this c25k with me. He chases criminals for a living so I felt at a disadvantage, but relieved to share similar experience with him. Was happy to discuss how winded and harder it was and is going to get.

W2 is kicking my tail! Did W2D2 last night and already dreading Friday!...lol!!!

I'm on the treadmill with this app running and the additional 30 seconds felt like minutes.

So mad that I have spent countless hours everyday on the elliptical for years because the calorie loss was higher than the treadmill (and yet I'm still over weight)...and now, even though I've only done 30mins every other day with this c25k, my body is sore and I'm loving it! Busting my butt for the better!

Glad I found this site! Looking for accountability, motivation and support.

Good Luck everyone!

• CinDoc Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 10, 2013
    10. Dec 12, 2013 9:27 AM (in response to Michael.)

Hi All,

I'm  a 38 year old mother of two, and just started C25K as well. I finished W1 yesterday and will be starting W2 on Saturday. My plan is to do it Sat, Mon, Wed and I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred every day as well. W1 went well... I kept a pretty slow pace (3mph walk, 5 mph jog) and wasn't dying at the end, so that's good. I think next week, I'll try to up the running speed to 6 mph and see how that goes.

In 2009, I did something similar to C25K to train for a 5K race.  I wanted to be able to say I ran a 5K and also knew running would be good exercise. I ran the race and then basically stopped running. I was hoping I would start getting that "runner's high" and really enjoy it, but that never really happened. I felt accomplished after finishing a run, but never actually enjoyed doing it. I don't know why that was, but I'm motivated again and want to give it another shot.

My family walked in a Color Me Rad 5K in the fall,  and had a blast... but I saw all the runners, and wanted to be able to run it instead of walking. So, my 10 year old son and I decided that next year we'll run it, so we're doing C25K together. The run isn't till June, but I figured it'd be best to start training early, and hopefully be able to run farther than 5K by that time.

It's pretty cold and snowy right now, so we're running on a treadmill, but I figure come spring, we'll get outside more. I'm hoping that if we go for runs together, it will be more enjoyable and keep me motivated.

I guess I'm looking for the same thing from this site as Stella... accountability, motivation and support, as well as inspiration. I'll post at the end of every week to "check-in".

Good luck!

Cindy

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    11. Dec 12, 2013 11:07 AM (in response to CinDoc)

Congratulations Cindy on getting started again (I've been there, done that, many-many times). 

The only suggestion I might make is to keep your pace at the 5 mph level until you're through the program; upping the distance you run and upping the speed can often lead to injury.  The good news is that with distance comes speed (even if you don't train fast), and this will hold true long after you've completed the C25K program.

Keep us posted on your progress. 

Oct 3, 2009
    12. Dec 14, 2013 3:39 AM (in response to shipo)

let's see if the forum will let me post today,

Stephen

cool , looks like it's working today.- I tried to reply to michael for 2 days earlier in the week and kept getting an error message........

anyway- today  I am on w2d2.

everything is going well. Brilliant sunshine and crisp temp. yesterday-so I walked outside for 8 miles in the morning.

THIS morning,as expected it's snowing pretty good, so it will be off to the gym and an indoor track.

I have been walking about 7-8 miles a day for months------at this point I think I have settled into a routine where I walk 8 miles one day-and then c25k run/walk  5 miles indoors the next.

to answer michaels question- I am planning on a 5 mile race 4-6-14. I have no plans for any 5k's before that point- they are in short supply here immediately after I will be finishing c25k--and they are pretty much all run on asphalt- not good for these old knees.

After the 4-6-14  5 mile race, I will evaluate my situation.

I am toying with joining a half marathon/ marathon class in late april/early may  to train for a half marathon early oct.. I have run that half marathon before- and feel I have "unfinished business" with that particular race.- It's a good one for me because a good part of it is off road on a crushed limestone trail.  when I ran the race previously I was able to train by running segments of the race cours several times each week.

It is GREAT to see other participants in this thread- very best wishes to all,

Stephen

Oct 3, 2009
    13. Dec 14, 2013 3:46 AM (in response to CinDoc)

Cindy---- also congrats on the c25k restart.

I also originally did the c25k back in 2009.

ran a half marathon in 2010- ran fairly consistantly untill a medical situation sidelined me in 2012.

I have that under controll now-so it's time to re-start.

slow and steady and we will ALL get the job done, eh?

Best wishes,

stephen

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...