Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

893 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2013 7:45 PM by lenzlaw RSS
shipo Legend 455 posts since
Aug 9, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 7, 2013 8:03 PM

Why can't I load a photo for my avatar?

Every time I try to load it, I get to the page where I'm instructed to Crop the Photo, however, A) I don't want to crop it, B) even if I did, there is no way to crop it, and C) it is impossible to move beyond that step.

What's up with that?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Dec 7, 2013 8:51 PM (in response to shipo)

Good question.  It looks to me like it is broken.  There was always a "trick" to it.  I think you had to upload a profile picture and then select that as your avatar pic.  But neither one works.  I sent them an email, we'll see what they say.

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    3. Dec 11, 2013 6:22 AM (in response to shipo)

Well . . . they don't even have an idea of what we're doing.  I traded email with them (3 different support techs - Jenny, Ivy and Vicky). Got one reply that told me how to change my picture on my fundraising page (I probably have one, but I've never been there). And finally they said to call them (Phone: 1-877-228-4881 Option 2, 7am to 5pm Pacific time) and give them more details.  Below is what I sent them, plus a screen shot of the error.  So what "more details" do you suppose will help them solve the problem?

I am not trying to contact Active Giving Support. 

I am not trying to login to a fundraising page (if I have one, I don’t know about it).

I am logging in to http://community.active.com/community/sports/running

I then go into my profile, click the “Edit Profile” link and try either to change my avatar or add a profile picture.

I can browse for and upload a photo. During the “Crop your photo” stage, it fails. Clicking the “Crop Photo” button produces the following result.  (See screenshot below.)  The message says “There was an error, please check below”. There is no further information or explanation.

Other users of the running community forums are having the same problem.

Please take the time to read and understand my complaint (which hasn’t happened so far.)

This is in addition to other problems, such as new posts not showing in the list of recent posts.

I realize that the forums are low on your priority list.  But if Active doesn’t want to support them, you should just let us all know and shut them down

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    5. Dec 12, 2013 7:27 AM (in response to shipo)

Sent another email with detailed, step by step instructions.  One problem, which you are probably familiar with, is that techs have privileged accounts and often can't see the problems we see. Gave them my account info to login and try it. Later I connected and I was already logged in, so I guess they were looking at it.

Len

Jan 18, 2008
    7. Dec 14, 2013 7:45 PM (in response to shipo)

Posted this a day or so ago, but it got wiped out by the ups and downs here.

They replied again, saying I should try another browser and if that didn't work, to call them.  I'm not inclined to add software to my PC just so they can troubleshoot.  And likewise for the phone.  Oh, try this. Didn't help? Try this other thing. No?  But there's really nothing to try. The steps are pretty clear and don't allow any options.  And never did they say that they got it to work.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points