Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

795 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2014 12:44 PM by stplatt RSS
OMaHTLD Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 21, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 21, 2013 6:49 PM

Non phone c25k starting aid / tracker / guide device

So, there are a load of watches available, but I want one that will be suitable from the very first day, right through to regular use. I want it to be able to tell me when to run, when to walk etc, so I can just get on with the excercise.

I'm not enamoured of those sporting websites, and the 'sharing' of my struggle. I just want to be able to tell it, walk x, run x, walk x, run x etc, so it can let me know when to do what when I am out.

Is there anything available? Do I have to change my phone, currently a Sonim XP3300, so not a smart phone, by any stretch, but at least it will survive being dropped!

Cheers!

• llvv Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 21, 2013
    1. Dec 21, 2013 10:24 PM (in response to OMaHTLD)

Are you hoping for it to also measure something, like distance ? Or what are you hoping it to do exactly ?

I have been using the "couch to 5K" app on my iPod Touch, then I have a Polar heart rate monitor to show me my heart rate, speed and distance. I already had both of those devices. I keep my iPod Touch clipped to the inside of my jacket (for warmth when it's cold outside), but also attached to a lanyard around my neck so I can't drop it. The c-2-5K app tells me exactly when to walk and jog.

• LyricGirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 18, 2013
    2. Dec 25, 2013 11:36 AM (in response to OMaHTLD)

Garmin Forerunner 10 might be a good choice for you. It is a straight forward GPS watch which gives walk/run intervals, pace, distance etc. In terms of walk/run intervals, it beeps at you and the screen says what you need to do e.g. Run for four minutes.

It is $129. I have attached a link below. You don't need a smart phone and data can be uploaded to a co purée.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/running/forerunner-10/prod107143.html

Nope this helps.

• stplatt Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 31, 2012
    3. Jan 14, 2014 12:44 PM (in response to OMaHTLD)

If you are looking at a watch with the future in mind, I would recommend the Garmin Forerunner 310XT.  It has all of the features of the 10, plus a few more.  Not only can you do run/walk intervals, but you can create your own custom workouts with your own custom times and/or distances.  It can also be used with a heart rate monitor to get a better idea of you workout.  While you don't think you would need this functino (I didn't) it is very likely that if you take up running as a lifestyle, the ability to add the feature without getting a new device is worth it.  The cost difference  between the 10 and 310xt is not substantial. Here is a ilnk to DCRAINMAKERs blog where you can compare the two. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?type=watch&ids=3078%2C3080#results

Happy running.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points