Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

763 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2013 6:33 AM by PollyAnn RSS
PollyAnn Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Tailbone

I've bruised my tailbone 2 weeks ago. I slipped on ice, and fell directly on my tailbone. I have been taking Advil. Its not terrible sore, I went for a 1 hour walk yesterday and it was okay  just a little sore  Just wondering when can I start slowly running again? I am a runner that clocks around 70 kilometers per/wk. But i know that I will not be able to even do a 10k run now, but just wanted to do a few kays and see how it goes. Experience with this anyone? Advice needed.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Dec 24, 2013 6:13 PM (in response to PollyAnn)
    Tailbone

Basically, you can run when you feel good enough to run again.  I fell and bruised my right hip a few weeks again.  But I took much of the fall with my arms and most of the symptoms went away by the next day.   It's still a little achy sometimes but I can run 5 miles without problems or aggravating it.  The caution here is that it could be cracked/broken.  And the only way to know for sure is to have an x-ray.  If it is, I don't think there is much that can be done - no cast or brace or anything - and I don't know if running will make it worse.  My wife fell on her tailbone a number of years ago and it turned out to be cracked.  She had to be careful of it for several weeks.  But she's not a runner.

Len

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Dec 24, 2013 9:11 PM (in response to PollyAnn)
    Tailbone

I either bruised or broke my tailbone back when I was a teenager, and that sucker hurt for an easy ten years.  The good news was that it never really slowed me down when I was running track and cross country.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points