Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1570 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2014 2:00 PM by DeanerOH
DeanerOH Amateur 18 posts since
Dec 30, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 1, 2014 10:28 AM

Frequency of workouts

Quick question:  What frequency do you all recommend for workouts - Every other day, every day, every 2 days?

I know that everyone's answers will be different and that it comes down to individual preference and recovery, but I am getting an idea and feel for the norm.

Thanks,

Deaner

12/31/2013 - Started C25K - 243#

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jan 1, 2014 1:56 PM (in response to DeanerOH)
    Frequency of workouts

During C25K, running should be no more than every other day, with a non-running day in between running days.  Most people seem to go 3 days a week, M-W-F for instance.  Cross training is perfectly acceptable on the off days, including walking.  Most recommend at least one rest day each week.

Once done C25K and running about 3 miles 3 days a week, it's a matter of slowly building weekly mileage, then adding days (without immediately adding to weekly mileage).  Then build mileage again, until you're at a level that is comfortable for you and enables you to meet your goals.

My current level is 4 or 5 days a week for 25 to 30 miles.

Len

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Jan 1, 2014 6:26 PM (in response to DeanerOH)
    Frequency of workouts

Like Len says, 3 days per week for new runners should be the general rule for quite some time.  I have restarted running more times in my life than I care to count, and when I was younger I used to go into it hog-wild, and like as not, I'd get hurt.  In 2009 when I finally successfully returned to the running fold after a 6 year layoff following a badly broken leg, I forced myself to run every other day instead of the once or twice per day I employed when I was young (and dumb and stupid).  The whole 7 runs in 14 days thing worked well and I managed to run over 600 miles in the 9 or so months I ran that year.  Significant work pressures in 2010 kept me away from running for much of the year, as it did in 2011 and the first half of 2012, however, when I did manage to sneak out to the trail, I never did so 2 days in a row.

This year, with my weight blooming up north of 250, and once I had logged a few hundred miles of every-other-day running, I tried a slightly different approach; I gradually transitioned 4, then 5, then 6, and finally 7 days per week.  That said, there was at least some method behind my madness; I reasoned that when I was consistently able to log one run every 2 days, the rest time between runs was enough to make me want to run faster than was probably good for me (from an injury perspective), so, instead of running say 8 miles at a sub 9:00 pace every-other-day, I ran 6 miles at a 10:00 pace for each of my workouts.  Once I got comfortable running at least 6 miles a day, I transitioned to 8 miles per day in mid July, and then to 10 miles per day in late September.

So, to answer your question, I would recommend you keep with your 3 day per week schedule until you've logged 400 miles or so before increasing your run frequency.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • citronella49 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 13, 2008
    4. Jan 5, 2014 7:52 AM (in response to DeanerOH)
    Frequency of workouts

So, I've been wondering the same thing. I play roller derby... I'm not one of the best! but I'm no where near one of the worst... A few years ago when I did the couch to 5k for the first time I was running every other day for several months, and it REALLY boosted my energy... and my skills on the track really improved... well I fell off the wagon about 2.5 years ago, and am sad about it... so I keep trying to do the couch to 5k thing again... but it seems like taking a day off turns into taking 4 days off most of the time (running at 6am outside in upstate NY is hard ;)

So... I started running again yesterday... just 25 min... and repeated it again today... my knee always hurts a bit after 20 min off running... but now my hips are killing me too!... I'm wondering if I really have become so out of shape, or if it really is just insane to run every day... I am afraid that if I do every other day I will quit again, and I don't want that...

I was thinking of doing a run/walk cycle... Do people do that? Can I get to the point where I run every day?

thanks for your thoughts :)

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    5. Jan 5, 2014 8:49 AM (in response to citronella49)
    Frequency of workouts

Walking is good as is alternating run/walk segments.  Cycling is good excersize but it will not prepare your body for running.  Were it that I was coaching you, I would recommend that you A) slow your pace down, and B) run initially for shorter durations until you can run pain free.  Once you get to the pain free zone, start gradually increasing the length of your runs without increasing the speed, this will allow you to build a good base without getting injured.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend