Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1445 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 9:17 AM by Chuck1945 RSS
DeanerOH Amateur 18 posts since
Dec 30, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2014 6:37 PM

Treadmill/Elliptical

Does anyone use a treadmill or elliptical during inclement weather?  I am anticipating a bad winter here in Ohio and don't want to miss a workout.

Ready, Set, Comment!

12/31/2013 - Started C25K - 243#

• shipo Legend 453 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Jan 2, 2014 7:05 PM (in response to DeanerOH)
    Treadmill/Elliptical

Dreadmills and ellipticals are decidedly not my preference; I think I'm allergic to working out inside. 

Instead of succumbing to the vagaries of the weather, I dress accordingly and run year round; today it was a five mile trail run in 4°F with plenty of fresh snow over a crusty layer over more snow.  How does one dress for such conditions?  I wore two pairs of leggings, a long sleeve shirt, and polar fleece, and an outer shell, a brimmed hat with ear flaps, gloves, running shoes, and Dion running snowshoes.

Dreadmill, shredmill. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jan 2, 2014 8:51 PM (in response to DeanerOH)
    Treadmill/Elliptical

It's probably not worth trying to waterproof your shoes.  The fabric is usually pretty porous and designed to breathe.  Because your feet perspire a lot anyway.  (Your feet have one of the highest concentrations of sweat glands on the body.)  Wear wicking socks (non-cotton) or else wool socks, which retain their insulating value even when wet.  Stuff your wet shoes with balled up newspaper and let them air dry.  Don't put them in the drier or in front of a heater or anything like that.  Change the newspaper when it gets wet.  Right now you're running every other day so your shoes should be able to dry between runs.  You may find your shoes getting just as wet when running in the heat of the summer.  Later, when you're running more you may need a second pair of shoes so you can alternate them.

Len

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    4. Jan 2, 2014 9:53 PM (in response to DeanerOH)
    Treadmill/Elliptical

I use a treadmill during bad weather.  The elliptical drives me crazy.

I saw this just today.  You might find it interesting.

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2014/01/02/biomechanical-benefits-treadmill-running/

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Chuck1945 Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 15, 2013
    5. Jan 6, 2014 9:17 AM (in response to DeanerOH)
    Treadmill/Elliptical

I prefer to run outdoors as well but sometimes the weather conditions exceed my outdoor threshold (I am not as hard core as some). Fortunately I have access to an indoor running/walking track at the university here, but I also have an elliptical machine I purchased 8 years ago when I first began to work on recovering fitness. From all I have read, a treadmill does not quite replicate actual runningbut it comes close and does provide activity which is what you are after. I have used one when travelling and I am unfamiliar with outdoor running opportunities since many motel/hotel fitness facilities have both elliptical and treaadmill machines. My elliptical machine is one with movable arms allowing me to get some upper body exercise and the non-impact aspect of elliptical (the reason I got it in the first place) is easier on my 68 year old knees and other joints even if the resultant workout isnt running.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...