Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

914 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2014 8:06 AM by lenzlaw
Tr1Guy76 Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 2, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 3, 2014 8:16 AM

Running tights killing my knees??

I mainly cycle and run and I just got a pair of these 2XU endurance tights. They were about $110 and from what I read, they were just the thing I was looking for. I did my research and I'm not looking for warmth, just serious compression and these feel nice until I get about 1.5 miles into a run and then my right knee starts to hurt (the patella ABOVE the knee, closer to my quads and not my shin). Then last night I ran a quick 10k and not only did my right knee start screaming at me again, but my left knee joined in the song and started singing too (not a duet I like to enjoy)! Different kind of pain, though it did involve the left knee cap as well. The left knee was more outer, rear tendon/ligament pain, which started pulling on my hamstring. I was ready to give up at 5k, but I ran through the pain and my calves cramped up when I got home because I ran differently (mostly lower leg movement) to overcompensate for the knees- BAD CALL!!!!

My opinion: the tights are not letting my knees "track" naturally and the patella is being either pushed up and/ or down improperly by the tights causing injury. Anyone have any similar stories or opinions?

I can't ride or run due to my knees today, but I was going to go for a run without them to see if the same things happens, maybe due to cold weather, but I doubt it because this has never happened to me from *running*: cycling is a different story (hyperextension from improper bike frame size and it was rear knee pain). I've been knee injury free for years though. Thank you all for your time and info is greatly appreciated.

James

• shipo Legend 491 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Jan 3, 2014 8:48 AM (in response to Tr1Guy76)

I have the same issue with my knee capsy.  Back when I was triathloning (late 1980s through early 1990s), I ran one day with my cycling tights on and by the time I got back home my knees behind the patella were in so much pain I couldn't run for weeks.

Since then I've worn loose fitting running pants, even completely non-stylish old fashioned baggy sweat pants, and never once had an issue.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Jan 15, 2014 7:06 AM (in response to Tr1Guy76)

Good luck with the knee heeling.  I have heard quite a few negative reviews of running in compression tights.  I have a pair of compression shorts that I train in but they took a while to get used to (i.e. stretch out a bit).

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jan 15, 2014 8:06 AM (in response to Tr1Guy76)

If it's PFPS then cutting back / resting is probably what you have to do to start the healing.  But it almost sounds like the quadriceps tendon may be the problem.  PFPS pain tends to be "behind" the knee cap.  The left leg sounds more like ITBS from your description.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points