Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

522 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2014 7:52 AM by shipo RSS
RLBlunt8384 Amateur 20 posts since
Jan 7, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2014 7:51 AM

Core Work Question.

Currently I am training for a marathon.  I weighed 213 when I started and now weigh 201.  I anticipate weighing around 192 by race day in about two in a half months. Looking in the mirror I notice my face has thinned as well as the rest of my body.  However I still have a little flab around the midsection.  I would like to target this area and lose that extra weight but I need advice on excersises and how often I should work that area.  Should I do core excersises every day? or a few days a week?

On a side note I am also curious about runners who incorporate weight training into their routines.  Early in the week on the easy days in my trainging program I will go to the gym after I run and do some upper body work.  I am very hesitant to do anything with my legs because they are already being pushed to the limit throughout the training regimine.  But the other side of thought might say that If I incorporated a little weight training leg work it might be very benificial to strengthening my joints which will help with my running.

soo...

1) How many days a week should I do core work?

2) How do you incorporate weight training leg work into a running routine?

• shipo Legend 340 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Jan 16, 2014 10:05 AM (in response to RLBlunt8384)
    Core Work Question.

Given how short the timefame is between now and your marathon, I wouldn't mess with core work and weights, I concentrate on miles, miles, and more miles.  Putting in lots of miles will both make you thinner, faster, and better able to cope with the demands of running a marathon.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jan 16, 2014 11:10 AM (in response to shipo)
    Core Work Question.

A strong core and lower back is very important to distance runners!!!!!!!  Look on the web and you will fine a lot of different exercises to do:  Planks front and sides as well as superman's for lower back will help you.  Start spending 10-15 mins after you run 2-3 days a week doing these!  Your back takes a beating running and a strong core and back will help keep the injury bug away.

Aug 9, 2013
    3. Jan 16, 2014 12:13 PM (in response to BOSNPM)
    Core Work Question.

Hmmm, I've always found that lots of running is more than enough to strengthen my core; I guess I'm doing it wrong.

• pj29340 Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 22, 2007
    4. Jan 16, 2014 2:21 PM (in response to RLBlunt8384)
    Core Work Question.

Sadly, you cannot actually " target " the fat around your mid-section; as you lose weight it will come from all over your body; there is no way to lose body fat in one particular section of your body.  Of course you can still do ab work, which we all need.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Jan 17, 2014 6:58 AM (in response to pj29340)
    Core Work Question.

Hmmm, I would think most people would say that running is not enough for your core and does nothing at all for your lower back.   In my opinion just bad advice to do nothing to strengthen both!

Aug 9, 2013
    6. Jan 17, 2014 7:52 AM (in response to BOSNPM)
    Re: Core Work Question.

Granted I'm not "most people", but on the various occasions where I've restarted my running after a long layoff, I definitely feel just as much muscle soreness in my abs and back as I do in my legs.  To my way of thinking, running uses most of the muscles in your body to some degree or another, and as such, running will condition them as well as they need to be conditioned to stay in balance with the rest of your body.

Will running give me "six-pack" abs?  No.  Then again, none of the muscles in my body, legs included, show discernable cuts, regardless of how strong and lean they are.

Does running condition the muscles my abs and lower back so they can work safely and in a complimentary fashion with the rest of my body, regardless of what type of running I'm doing?  Yes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points