Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1140 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2007 12:33 PM by BethR042 RSS
dave.macluskie Rookie 248 posts since
Nov 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2007 8:50 PM

Yorktown Battlefield 10 miler

Yorktown Battlefield 10 miler
03 Nov 2007

Summary:
1:23:29 (watch)
4/10 in age group

last year I ran a 1:34:19

Longer version:
I've been looking forward to this race as my closing running event of the year. I ran it last year as a (at the time longest race I'd attempted) test to see if I was ready for a half-marathon (I ended up running two in the spring, plus the HIM in early September). This year I ran it to compare my fitness to last year.

I run this route often on the weekends since the starting line is almost exactly two miles from the house. It's a nice low traffic area with half-decent hills for the area and well shaded in the summer.

A 10am start makes this a very comfotable race for us non-morning people. The weather was perfect. Upper 50's, low 60's and a gusting wind which wasn't an issue because the road is mostly tree-lined. Blue skies, dry air, and just a lovely day.

I did a 1 mile warm-up and lined up on the starting line with 200 other folks. I didn't know anyone else running this year so it was just me. I took the first two miles a little slower (8:45 - 9:00) than I intended, but too slow is generally better than too fast. After that I locked into my intended 8:15-8:20 pace. I passed about 3-4 folks per mile with a steady pace.

With two miles to go I picked it up to 8:00, and for the last mile, half of which is uphill, I picked it up again to about 7:30's for a strong finish. There were two guys in front of me for the last half mile that I was trying to catch, but they kept speeding up for the finish everytime I sped up. By the looks at the results one of them was in my age group and took 3rd. Oh well!

DW and DD met me at the finish line with a were a great cheering section. DD spotted me first !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Overall I'm pleased with the results. I took 11 minutes off last years time, so that's a huge improvement. In retrospect I was probaby running too easy. My HR was lower than last year overall, and comparing my breathing to those I passed, I was definitely not working as hard. On the other hand, I'm pretty sore today, so I know I did something near my limits. Still, my goal for next years races will be to learn to push myself more.

The race is very well run, and one of the few I've run, of any size, that has folks at every mile reading off times as you pass. Each mile is well marked and water and porta potties are on the course.

I've signed up for the Shamrock Half Marathon again (whenever St. Patricks day is) and am hoping for about a 10 min improvement there as well. At least that's the goal!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...