Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

127 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2014 2:57 PM by joemcd RSS
joemcd Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2014 2:57 PM

Training to run a sub-60 400m

So my wife's family is a bunch of runners. Cross country and track. They are all very good at middle/long distance. Personally, I never ran competitively. I played football and lacrosse in high school, and played four years of lacrosse in college. After college I ran a bunch of 5Ks, a few 10Ks, two marathons and a handful of sprint triathlons. Fast forward to today. I'm 30 and not quite as active as I should be. Haven't been to the gym in a while, but still playing indoor lacrosse once a week. At breakfast this morning someone mentions that my brother-in-law recently ran his leg of the 4x400 relay in 53s. I asked for a little perspective on how good that is. My wife says, "Put it this way, you wouldn't be able to do it in under a minute."

Naturally, I have to run a 400 in under a minute. I tried it at a track today and, sure enough, 1:05. I ran out of gas about 3/4 through and I know for certain that it would not take me long improve enough to break a minute. The thing is, I don't know the most efficient way to train for this distance. I'm hoping that someone out there can offer me some advice about what I should focus on.

Thanks! Joe

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points