Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

528 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2014 7:19 AM by lenzlaw
lynseybinsey Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 27, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2014 8:38 PM

Upping long run mileage suddenly

Can I raise my long run mileage suddenly while still keeping my same average weekly mileage safety?  ie: I currently run about 20ish miles a week with my long run being 7 miles. Is upping the ling run from 7 miles to 10 miles too drastic?

I am starting a training plan that stars out at 21mpw with a 10 mile long run, and then peaking at 31mpw with a 13 mile long run. The longest run I have run since December is 7 miles and I am training for a half marathon in April.

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Feb 3, 2014 6:28 AM (in response to lynseybinsey)
    Re: Upping long run mileage suddenly

With so few other base or foundation miles, moving from 7 to 10 miles for the longest weekly run is possible, however, it will most likely raise your exposure to injury.

FWIW, I'm a trail runner, and back in 2009 while I was finally working my way back into running following a six year layoff, I took a wrong turn and got lost.  Prior to that day my longest run in years had been like 6 miles (however, I did have a few 8 miles days split into two runs), on that particular day I ended up going 12 miles and oh geez was I beat when I finished, I mean, you could'a stuck a fork in me and called me done!  I had to take three, maybe even four days after that run to rest up, my muscles and joints were that tender.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Feb 3, 2014 7:19 AM (in response to lynseybinsey)
    Re: Upping long run mileage suddenly

Well, yeah, there is some increased risk in going straight from 7 to 10.  You would have to be careful and "listen to your body" on that run.  An alternative would be to do your first 10-miler run/walk, maybe run 5 minutes, walk 1 or 2 minutes (repeat as necessary ).  Really, though, what's your hurry?  You're peaking at 13 and you have 7 or 8 weeks to get there.  You could add one mile per week and still get there easily.  Training plans are just plans - they're not law.  You may not be used to doing so, but there is nothing wrong with making adjustments in the plan to suit your circumstances.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points