Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

488 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 6, 2014 7:06 AM by shipo RSS
romintx Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 5, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2014 6:39 AM

New to c25k. Any advice for transitioning back after an injury?

Hello everyone! =)

I started the c25k program in mid-February, and had gotten as far as Week 1, Day 3 before injuring my right knee (Runner's knee, I believe. Doctor says it was just a sprain. Right knee felt very tight, and I had trouble walking down stairs). I spent about a week and a half resting it and doing the RICE stuff, and now that I'm regaining flexibility in my knees without pain, I'd like to eventually get back to the c25k program.

So my question is this: Does anyone have any advice, tips, or suggestions for transitioning back into jogging and running after injuring your knee? I'm a huge newbie with this stuff, and every article I read on it is kind of overwhelming. I already plan on buying better shoes (my old ones weren't offering enough support), but is there anything that would help make this easier and make the same injury less likely to happen?

(thanks in advance for any response)

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013

The key to getting back is to run really-REALLY slowly in the beginning, like barely faster than a walk, and if you can find it, a dirt surface to run on.

For six years following a badly broken leg and partially torn off foot, I was unable to get my running going again due to the asymmetry of my stride causing knee, hip and back injuries.  I finally decided to scale things way-way back, found a dirt trail and ran so slowly that I managed to cover only 8 miles that first month (not 8-miles per run, e-i-g-h-t miles total for the month).  The exceedingly slow restart got me over the hump and I managed 18 miles the next month, and something like 50 the month after that.

Long story short, slow-slow-slow is the name of the game you must play. 

Keep us posted on your progress.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...