Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

517 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 9, 2014 5:40 PM by lenzlaw RSS
CheekiiChap Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 9, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 9, 2014 11:44 AM

Improving my mile time

Hi, I have about a month and a half until my first track & field race, and I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me.

I currently run a 6:15 mile time and am looking to get to about 5:30.

First: is it possible?,

My current training schedule is monday-saturday each day I run about 4-7 miles, and I've been doing that for a couple weeks and have seen no improvement.

I was thinking about doing 9 400s under 75 secs with a minute of rest in between every sunday, but I don't know if that's too much for my body / it won't help at all..

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,319 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 9, 2014 5:40 PM (in response to CheekiiChap)
    Improving my mile time

Can you get there?   I would hope so, with proper training, but maybe not by the time of your first race.  I'm no expert but here is what I would suggest.  Running short intervals should help - 200s, 400s, 800s.  Do them once a week instead of one of your regular runs, not adding a day.  Do a good warmup of a mile or so easy before and the same after.  Pick a specific time, like 75 secs and try to hit that on each.  Recovery of 60 secs should be OK, walking or jogging.  You may not be able to do 9 to start.  When you start to have trouble hitting your time, it's time to go home.  But you should be able to increase the number each week.  An alternative to adding more repeats is to bring down the time, maybe 72 secs instead of 75.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...