Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1045 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2014 7:16 AM by BOSNPM
BKAustinred Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 23, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 23, 2014 1:02 PM

What to eat after run?

Hi, I'm new to running. What is a good thing to eat before and after a run? Carbs, protein or a combination? Thanks!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Feb 23, 2014 1:56 PM (in response to BKAustinred)
    What to eat after run?

If you normally eat a good, nutritious, balanced diet, you don't need to do anything special before or after an average run.  You don't have to be concerned until you get into much longer or harder workouts.

Len

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Feb 26, 2014 8:14 AM (in response to BKAustinred)
    What to eat after run?

My general rule of thumb is eat what your body wants, errr, of course within limits.  It seems like in the winter time my body wants asparagus and either chili or BBQed chicken thighs, but in the summer time, especially after a long run on a hot humid day, my body wants milk and cookies.  In the spring and fall, beer looks especially good after a run. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Feb 26, 2014 1:07 PM (in response to BKAustinred)
    What to eat after run?

I agree with the previous posts but when I'm training hard, I know my nutrition seems to suffer.  After a hard or long run I try to eat a Recovery Bar because I know you need a certain ratio of carbs and protien.  PowerBar has some really great tasting recovery bars so that's my go to.

• justamaniac Legend 208 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Feb 27, 2014 6:12 PM (in response to BKAustinred)
    What to eat after run?

My response would be "it depends...."  It depends a lot on your personal metabolism and nutritional needs.

In general, I find that I need protien after long runs to help my legs recover, so I tend to dose up on that. Otherwise, a generally balanced diet of protien and carbs does well for me.  But here is my general post run meal plan:

(I'm a morning runner, so everything I note here is geared towards morning type foods)

If it's a short run, say under 6 miles, I look for something that is a combination of protiens and carbs, but not too much in volume. I tend towards cereals or yogurt with blueberries or strawberries.

Between 6 and 10 or so miles I'll start looking at eggs, like at least four of them, with cheese, and whole wheat toast. Maybe throw some ham or turkey in with it.

For 11 miles and beyond, I'll start with a protien-banana shake and follow that with eggs or perhaps a turkey/cheese/lettuce sandwich.

For the long-long runs, like 18+ I'll always do the protien-banana shake first and then eat more later. After these longer runs, I tend to eat smaller portions but somewhat frequently. 

Hope that this is helpful -

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Feb 28, 2014 7:16 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    What to eat after run?

After runs a simple 4-1 Carbs to protein something like a low fat choclate milk is all you need!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points