Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

511 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 9, 2014 1:04 PM by lenzlaw
JoannaMacCormac Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 9, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 9, 2014 12:31 PM

Is it okay to use energy drinks the week leading up to a race?

In a couple of weeks I am running my first half marathon, and throughout most of the training I have felt tired.  I already take gu's during my long runs, but I feel like I need something more, and people have told me energy drinks work well.  However I know that mizing energy drinks and supplements are not good (I've learned from experience) but is it OK to take energy drinks the week leading up to the race and gu's during it or would it cause the same problems? Also, is there anything else I can do to make myself feel more energized?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Yes, in a word, it is OK.  Unless, of course, your stomach just can't handle energy drinks at all.  The problem with mixing energy drinks and gels in a race is doing both at the same time, resulting in more calories than your stomach can digest at once.  This will often leave you with an upset stomach and/or stomach cramps.  I'm wondering if you're overtraining, or if there are other things going on in your life that are taking a toll that the running can't overcome.  You might want to do a two week taper and back off a little on your training to be a little better prepared for your race.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points