Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1928 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2014 6:12 PM by justamaniac RSS
pbeames Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 27, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 18, 2014 8:50 PM

First Marathon

Well actually this will be my first any kind of running race.  I am set up to do my first race and marathon on June 14th and am wondering if I'm crazy for just starting out with a marathon.  Or if any one else has done that as well.  I really do enjoy running, I have had a little bit of issues with over training and having sore calves.  But other than that I'm doing great.  I'm just wondering if I'm super abnormal to be going for the full marathon.  I just thought, what would be something super challanging and something that would be a great thing to train for.

Is this crazy of me or if it is actually doable???

THANKS!!

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Mar 19, 2014 5:21 AM (in response to pbeames)
    First Marathon

I am not really sure whether it is doable or not. I assume it can be done (I know someone who run a 10k and then jumped to the full marathon a month later). In any case, I think it can get to be pretty dangerous for your health and for your running.

You mention that you already enjoy running, so there is a chance that you already know what I am going to say, but I think it is still worth saying.

- There are some "dangers" to running, two of the main ones being injuries and burnout, if you start training "from the coach" with a full marathon in mind, chances are that you will incurr in one or both.

- Setting shorter goals before that looks like a safer way to keep a steady progress. I believe the miles needed to properly train for a marathon should not be attempted unless you have enough experience running.

I am probably the opposite type of person to you (takes all kinds to make a world!). I have run 10 half marathons and many 10Ks before really thinking about full marathons. Nowadays, I am already running many miles (actually enough for some marathon training plans), but will not run my first full in a while yet, I know I could make it to the finish line, but it is important to me to feel confindent with the distance I am running.

I am aware that I might be too cautious, but I enjoy running very much and have already had injuries that prevented me from doing it for long periods of time. My advice would be to be sure that your body can take the exercise you are doing and to be wary of overconfidence.

In any case, I wish you lots and lots of happy miles and hope that you can run your full marathon injury free and having lots of fun.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Mar 19, 2014 8:05 AM (in response to ydiez)
    First Marathon

Depends on your training!

• bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    3. Mar 21, 2014 9:18 AM (in response to pbeames)
    Re: First Marathon

I'm not particularly qualified to answer this, because I have yet to do a marathon myself. 

I am about to do my first half marathon though, and I have been training for it since December.  I still don't know if I'm ready, but it's coming either way

The thing is, I don't think we really have enough information from your post to give you any real good advice.  There are many factors:

• Your age.  There is no age that is too old to run a marathon.  But as we get older, running experts I've seen definitely advise a much longer training schedule.
    • Your general fitness before starting training
    • How long ago you started training.  June isn't that far away.

Generally, there is no reason to run any other race before a marathon.  If you are going to train for the marathon properly, then you will certainly have completed 5Ks, 10Ks, and half marathons as training runs.  Having said that, I'd still advise you to use some real races in between now and the marathon as your training runs.  The reason is that running in a race is different than running for training.  You will be amped up before the race.  You are likely to go out and run faster than your normal pace at the beginning, unless you train yourself not to.  So, it's a good idea to run some other races, if for no other reason than you need to "train" for how to run a race.

I know I just totally contradicted myself there. 

I guess what i'm saying is, I'm fairly certain there are shorter distance races you can run in your area before the actual marathon.  I can't think of a good reason not to take advantage of them, other than just wanting to have the bragging rights that your first race was a marathon.  While that would be pretty cool... I wouldn't say it's advisable.  Then again, maybe I just like having lots of race shirts in my wardrobe

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Mar 21, 2014 4:18 PM (in response to pbeames)

This is not as unusual as you might think.   Many runners do their first, and often only, marathon using Team In Training (TNT), the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's program.  Lots of these runners have little or no racing experience and often little or no running background.  What matters is your base training, your approach to marathon training and your approach to the race itself.  Hopefully you have had time to develop a training base of at least 15 miles per week (preferably more like 25) before starting your marathon training.  Then you need to pick a good marathon training plan suited to your current running abilities, and following it as closely as possible.  The race itself also has to be done at a level suited to your running abilities.  TNT for instance, is often done run/walk.  The fact that you mention overtraining issues is a bad sign.  Pushing too hard is as likely to leave you injured as anything.  If you do it in the marathon, you stand a chance of having a miserable several hours, particularly the last 6 miles or so.  Be conservative in your approach to training and to the race and it will be much more enjoyable.

Good luck.

Len

• justamaniac Pro 178 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Mar 25, 2014 3:01 PM (in response to pbeames)

I won't say that it's crazy and it certainly is doable to make your first race a marathon... but for what it's worth:  running a couple of shorter events, like a 10K or a HM would help with what to expect on marathon day. You'll get a feeling for what a start is like, hydration stations, and the general buzz of an event.  Granted, a marathon event is something to behold, but from personal experience, I found that having run other events prior to my first marathon helped me tremendously. You will be able to find events that fit into your training plan... But even if you don't, you will do fine - but you might enjoy your marathon more with a bit of event experience.

Best of luck!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• hoyas3303 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 4, 2014
    6. Apr 4, 2014 6:23 PM (in response to pbeames)
    First Marathon

@Bill - I saw your recent blog post and it leads me to a broader curiousity around the habits of fellow runners. So I have a little 8 question survey up on survey monkey, mostly around what other runners use, and some motivational stuff.

Would love everyone's POV so feel free to share your answers here

I can share the results back with the group!

• justamaniac Pro 178 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    7. Apr 7, 2014 6:12 PM (in response to hoyas3303)
    First Marathon

I'm hoping that you'll share your results!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points