Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

321 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2014 10:11 PM by Haselsmasher RSS
ConnersDaddy Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 17, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 18, 2014 12:48 PM

How fast should I be brisk walking and jogging as a beginner? Couch to 5k App

I'm relatively out of shape and was probably closer to 13-15 minutes per miles. I'm not sure if I am pushing myself too hard, since I read online brisk walking for beginners is 20 minutes a mile. It felt like a good workout. I just finished my first day with the Couch to 5k app at 2.01 miles. Would appreciate any feedback! 

• 23putts Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 23, 2014

2.01 miles is great.  My first day was 2.06 miles including warm up and cool down.  Finished the 9 week program last Friday and ran my first 5K last Saturday.  The best advice I can give you is to run at a pace that is comfortable.  Took me a few weeks and a lot of reading on this forum before I figured this out.  Once I slowed my pace where breathing was easier and my body didn't hurt as much, running became more enjoyable.  I started looking forward to my workouts instead of dreading them.  Oh yeah, I invested in a polar f4 heart rate monitor.  That took all the guess work out of whether I was pushing myself hard enough.

Like you I was worried about how fast I was running when really it does not matter at all.  You are off the couch conditioning your body to enjoy running.  It takes time.  My C25K workout times varied a lot from day to day.  From 11:00 miles to 14:00 miles depending on how well I felt and whether I was running in the snow and ice or on dry ground.  (ran on snow and ice a lot this winter)  Even though my workout times averaged 11-14 min/mile I ran the 5K in 28:26.  Always knew I could run faster when I was working out, but didn't want to push to hard and get discouraged.  I am running to improve my health, not to break any records.

Before you know it your nine weeks will be over.  You will run your first 5K and feel like a million bucks.  Then you will start on the 10K app like me.....Best of Luck!

• Haselsmasher Legend 507 posts since
    May 25, 2009

The rough rule of thumb is to be running at an exertion rate that would enable you to talk if you were running with someone next to you.  That's not to say it would be easy to talk.  And someone who was talking with you would be able to determine that you were exercising.  (i.e. talking can be somewhat labored)  But the point is that if you're so winded you couldn't talk - then you're going too fast.  This guideline, IMHO, is a good one, because it helps break the focus of an actual number and focuses more on what a person can do - wherever they are.

Generally speaking it takes a while to learn a rhythm that feels normal and sustainable.  Having it feel odd for a while is normal.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...