Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

217 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 27, 2014 9:29 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
CHARLENE SHELTON Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2014 8:21 AM

Face plant = pulled groin. Healing time?

After breaking my foot, healing, and running a few times in between freezing temps and snow, I finally went out to start my training for the upcoming Steamboat marathon on June 1. I ran exactly .19 miles when I tripped over a piece of sidewalk and ended up on my face in the middle of an intersection. I think I may have tried to catch myself but, in any case, ended up with a severely pulled right groin muscle. My daughter had to carry me into the house! It's been 3 weeks now and I can walk, albeit with a small limp. I did all the right stuff - ice, heat, wrap, rest, etc. I also saw my chiropractor, massage therapist, and started PT last week. I no longer have the shooting pains in the groin area, but a dull ache with certain movements, which has moved more towards the quad (like between the groing insertion and the the quad). Does anyone have any idea of how long I should "baby" the injury before I try to even go on walks? Like others who are injured, I'm losing my mind! Any thoughts on other types of cardio that I can do?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 27, 2014 9:29 AM (in response to CHARLENE SHELTON)
    Re: Face plant = pulled groin. Healing time?

In the case of a severe pull as you describe it, there would certainly be no point in running Steamboat. If travel plans have already been made, just show up to cheer others on, and collect the swag. You may actually wind up enjoying it more than struggling through injury to an embarrassing finish. I say this assuming you still want to compete, because so many athletes try this. I'm hoping you have more patience than that.

I've had a sidewalk faceplant after tripping while running, and I can relate. I wasn't affected the way you were, but there is usually something else involved when your body tries to avoid damage in a fall. You may find more pains later in your back or elsewhere. It just takes a split-second to cause a long-term injury.

Sounds like you have already done, and plan to continue doing, what you can at this time. While there probably isn't much you can do that won't hurt at least some, the PT will probably remind you that plain rest will do more harm than good. We often associate PT with pain, and that's unfortunate. Good recovery can hurt more than a bad one. A good sports PT will be your best source for advice on when it is OK to resume training, and what sort of training you can do. For now, mild movement should help despite the pain, until you get the green light for further effort.

Chances are good there was damage to more core muscles or adductors than what sounds like a hip flexor injury. Lots of muscles work in concert to flex the hip, and the group can be quite protective of itself. There may be some splinting and spasm in uninjured tissue in support of the injury, and this can also hurt. Allow time for it to die down, or training too fast may cause alterations in your gait (maladaptations) that produce injuries in other locations. Patience is key, as hard as it is to accept that as a runner who yearns for the wind in her hair. Find ways to get outside and get the outdoor fix that make recovery more pleasant. There are more ways to rest than being home-bound, even in a harsh winter like the one that just claimed you as another victim.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...