Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2564 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2014 5:45 AM by laserjones16 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
FamilyFirstDad Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2014 10:27 AM

Who is motivated to start & complete 5k training?

Looking for a motivated team to push each other and do it for ourselves and our kids!

• RunningMan2050 Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 4, 2014

I'm in; just started a C25k program ... it's kicking me in the pants though!

• ChaiKitty77 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 12, 2008
    2. Mar 29, 2014 10:20 AM (in response to RunningMan2050)

Count me in!  I started the C25K program this week.  My body isn't use to running anymore... my calf muscle near my Achilles tendon was flared up for a few days after my first workout.  I'm doing W1D2 today. I also bike to work now to get more low-impact exercise. 

What are everyone's goals?

My goal is to get back into running so I can go running for 2 to 5 miles at a time and 3 to 5 times per week.  My other goal is to lose 50lbs and ultimately up to 75 would be my long-term goal.

Glad to know I've got a couple of partners in crime on this journey.  Keep me posted on you progress!

• picturelady5 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 29, 2014

Hi There:

I'm there too!  I've been running for a couple of years, but just on my treadmill.  I feel that I've reached a plateau and need some encouragement to get to the next step.

I have signed up for my first 5K run this summer.  I would like to work on increasing my speed so that I am not the last to finish this 5k race!  lol

• Trebor Snave Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 11, 2014

I am not exactly starting, but... my 5K is in 3 weeks.  I had been training quite consistently until this last week when I was in a rope access class and it just killed my thighs all week long - to the point I almost couldn't walk!  But today I felt much better and went for a 2.5 mile run.

My goal is to finish in under 30 minutes, and then continue training for a 10K in June.  I'm finding that signing up for (and pre-paying!) races really keeps me focused on training.

Mar 29, 2014
    5. Mar 30, 2014 5:57 AM (in response to Trebor Snave)

HI Trebor.

I agree that signing up for the race in advance is a great way to keep motivated.  I've signed up for a 5km run in September, but just last night decided to do one on April 26th, with my daughter.  That gives me just 4 weeks to get ready.  This will be quite the challenge!  I have run 5 km on my treadmill many times and so have decided to get outside and run.  I was determined to go for that first outdoor run today.  I stepped out the door, into a layer of new snow, but I went anyway.  I surprised myself.  Although I felt as if I was hardly moving and the route is definitely a bit hilly, I made better time than I have ever done on the treadmill.  Hmmm - that makes me wonder if my treadmill isn't accurately recording time or mileage. 

How is everyone else doing today?

• msnoel28 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 1, 2014

I'm repeating week 4 of Couch to 5k!

I've never really run before, but always wanted to. My goal is just to...run...and enjoy it.

Mar 11, 2014

I did 3 miles last night on the treadmill and I'm feeling pretty good this morning.  I should have run outside, but chose the treadmill for reasons I can't articulate.  It seems there's a mental hurdle I have to get over before that first outdoor run.

On a plus note, I've lost 10 pounds since I started working out and controlling my portions (about a month).  Food tastes better, and I enjoy it more.  When I finished my run yesterday, I would have sworn that I wasn't going to eat anything for the rest of the day - within an hour I was starving!  I had some enchiladas and they were fantastic.

Hope everyone else is enjoying spring - it's almost here.

Mar 29, 2014
    8. Apr 5, 2014 6:25 PM (in response to Trebor Snave)

Congratulations on the weight loss! That's great!

I understand about the mental hurdle about running outside.  I've just started running outside this week after using the treadmill for a while.  This probably sounds silly, but I never wanted anyone to see me running so I ran in the privacy of my basement, but I'm getting really tired of that.  I decided to take a chance and try a run outside last Sunday.  I am enjoying it.  So far this week, I've run in fresh snow, rain, and temperatures barely above the freezing mark, but it's great being outside early in the morning.  I am hoping for sunshine and warmer temperatures tomorrow, but will go regardless of the weather. 

• MiscMe Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 11, 2014
    9. Apr 15, 2014 11:16 AM (in response to FamilyFirstDad)

I'm a little late to the game, but count me in!  Also doing Couch to 5K and just did W1D2 yesterday.  For the first time I'm actually taking rest days (besides just the weekends), and I think that's going to be the ticket for me making better progress this time around.  Feeling motivated!  Although... it's REALLY hard for me to take these rest days.  I'm so "all or nothing" that I just want to go out and train every day ... but I think that's why I keep burning out early in the game. 

I've had a lot of trouble with pain in my legs (muscles tighten up so badly I can't even walk after a few minutes of running) - so this time around I'm training on the grass track at the local school.  So far it's working!  Yay!

I'm doing Run or Dye in San Diego next month.  Not a lot of time to work up to it, but I'm going to do the best I can.

• newbie85 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 17, 2014
    10. Apr 16, 2014 10:23 AM (in response to FamilyFirstDad)

Count me in! I haven't started the C25K program but have been building up to running a complete 5k. I'm no where near that yet so maybe looking into the program will help. My biggest problem will be the cross-training on the odd days I'm not running. My sister and I agreed (back in February) that we would do at least one 5k race/month for a year. So far, we've done it. I haven't been training much between the races but have managed to improve my time with each race. I'm hoping to be able to run an entire race in under 30 minutes by the end of the year, if not before then.

Mar 29, 2014
    11. Apr 18, 2014 6:15 AM (in response to newbie85)

You're so lucky to have your sister to do this with. That will really help with keeping yourself motivated!

• SheIsRunning Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2014
    12. Apr 18, 2014 2:21 PM (in response to ChaiKitty77)

Hi everyone - newish to Couch25K right now but VERY eager to complete it, and happy to find a support community! I did most of this program years ago but then moved and sort of forgot about it. Looking forward to completing it this time.

With the caveat that we are all different so what worked for me might not work for you, I think that slowing speed can make a huge difference for those who are talking about various struggles here. I am very short and I have found that 5.5, for example, is pretty darn fast for me right out the gate whereas 5.1/5.2 is still a decent clip but manageable. I started too fast one before and hurt my calf muscle badly. You can always get faster as you build up your legs and heart!

Tomorrow will be my week 2 days 3 workout - so far, so good! Looking forward to some longer chunks and fewer walk-run switches.

Goals: to run a 5K :-P after school gets out in June, and to keep running for general health and well-being (a little weight loss would be great, too). I love the idea of running races fairly often to keep me going.

Last thing! If you don't have a "Stick," I highly recommend one. It helps your calves and any other muscles stay flexible before or after running.

• Allibean Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 20, 2014

I will be starting tomorrow! Only because it's 8:30 at night right now, hah! I have been making excuses and excuses and finally I went to Boston during what ended up being marathon weekend and just seeing everyone in their marathon gear made me want it. I'm 26 years old and I was a swimmer and did track in high school (although I was never a distance runner, just short and fast) and have exercise induced asthma and kicks my butt from time to time, but with a new inhaler and some work I'm ready to start C25K!

Mar 11, 2014

Had my race this last Saturday; finished in 32:05, a couple of minutes slower than I wanted.  But my GPS says that it was actually a 5.5K so I'm pretty happy.  Now, on to the 10K in June!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...