Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

209 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 27, 2014 8:59 AM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
Troy Huot Rookie 1 posts since
May 31, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2014 11:07 AM

Knee Arthritis

I have been running for over 20 years.  But now have arthritis in my right knee.  I have had two surgeries on the knee in 2007 and last October both for torn meniscus.  Since, my surgery in October (in hindsight I wish I never had)I have been barely able to run.  I had a cortisone shot in February which has helped some.  I am contemplating running the Boston Marathon which I have done for the past 18 years in a row.  Last year I ran the race in 3:20 but know I am not sure if I can run under 6 hours. I don't mind running slow but don't want to make my knee any worse.  I was thinking of getting the gel injections but not sure if that will help.  I am able to walk with no pain but as soon as I start running no matter how slow I go after a couple of miles my knee hurts.  I have exercised a lot on the Nautilus machine and elliptical machine but the knee pain always returns when running. I have tried running with a knee brace but that doesn't help.  Anyone have experience running with knee arthritis or with gel injections?  Any ideas on how I can get back to the joy of running?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 27, 2014 8:59 AM (in response to Troy Huot)
    Re: Knee Arthritis

Troy, what did they do in this last surgery? Did they remove part of the meniscus? It really sounds like that knee is not ready for prime-time, at the very least. Even if you qualified last year, I would consider not being ready for Boston any time soon. Your recovery protocols need to be revisited by your doctor. While there may be time to requalify for next year's Boston, I would not push this. Arthritis is a big deal and it's painful effects are not easily reversed. Not saying you should never run again, but I would seriously consider retiring from competition on a high note. You already have more to be proud of than the vast majority of athletes will ever accomplish.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...