Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

415 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 2, 2014 9:23 PM by JoaneEvans
KristinJ87 Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 11, 2014 8:20 AM

Ankles!

Hello,

I just finished the first week of Couch-to-5k and I am new to running. I love this program, but I'm finding that my ankles are KILLING me about 5 minutes into the workout. Everytime I run for that minute, the pain is almost unbearable and it makes me want to stop running.

Is this normal for beginning runners? Will the pain eventually go away? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Kristin

• JoaneEvans Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 23, 2014
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Dec 2, 2014 9:23 PM (in response to KristinJ87)
    Ankles!

it sounds as though you may have an "over use" injury, which is simply a term used for covering a broad category of aches and pains resulting from doing too much, too soon. When pain persists for more than three days and, especially, when it is still present after taking several days off, it's best to see a physician. Your health care professional can provide a diagnosis and a proper treatment plan. If at all possible, find a physician that sees and treats runners and since your issue involves your ankles, a sports-related podiatrist or orthopedist may prove especially helpful. I watched this Video when I had the same issue It's really helpful to optimize your running
    http://triathlonresearch.org/run-form-efficiency-gap-form-fitness-mindset-part-6/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points