Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

420 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2014 4:32 AM by LyricGirl
countrymom Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 17, 2014 8:14 AM

c25k Newbie and knee pain

I am 50 years old and never been active (unlike the rest of my family).  I need to lose 20-30 lbs and am 5'10.  I say all this because I know my knee hurts becuase I am overweight.  I understand that which is why I'm trying to exercise but its frustrating. I'm still on W1d3 and I've repeated it a few times.  I'm making progress but my right knee hurts as does my left ankle.  If I had to guess, I hurt my left ankle compensating for my knee. 

Can anyone suggest exercises to do to help with the knee pain and or avoid further pain. 

Thanks!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 19, 2014 7:22 AM (in response to countrymom)

Your knee hurts because it's injured.  You really need to figure out what is wrong and correct that.  Backing off meanwhile might be a good idea until you can run pain free.  The extra weight doesn't help but it probably isn't the cause.  There are others who post here who can give you a better idea of the medical reasons for your pain.  You will need to describe, precisely, where it hurts (e.g. behind the kneecap, below it, above, near one corner, on the outside (lateral side) of the knee, etc.) and under what circumstances it hurts (running only, walking, upstairs, downstairs, pressure in particular directions, and so on).  This info gives a much better idea of what the problem is and what steps to take to fix it.  But for starters, make sure you are not using old shoes, or shoes that are not suited to running (like old gym shoes).  A visit to a good running store to be fitted for shoes might help.

Len

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,162 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. Apr 21, 2014 8:14 AM (in response to countrymom)
    Re: c25k Newbie and knee pain

I have read that most doctors agree there is a high correlation between overweight and knee pain. It may not follow that actual knee damage is also correlated, but there are complicated reasons why this may not be so. For one, overweight can lead to inactivity, while buff, overactive individuals are likely to be be more prone to knee injuries. This obscures the real causes for knee pain.

One thing is for sure: More weight will lead to more strain on muscles acting on the knee joint, and these muscles do produce pain that seems to be coming from the joint itself. Note that we almost always name the pain after the area we feel it in. It does not mean the knee itself is the problem. Sure, exercise can help, but it sounds like you've been doing a lot of that.

My advice to anyone seeking to lose weight through exercise, is to first build strength in the muscles supporting the body, particularly in the legs, before pounding the pavement with unconditioned muscles. I used a mini-trampoline for months before hitting the road when I took up running, and there are probably other low or non-impact methods of gradually building up tone in the thigh muscles that act on your knee. It is the impact that can tear and strain unconditioned muscle tissue quickly until it begins to malfunction and display many various pain syndromes associated with the knee.

Continue to be active, since the circulation is beneficial to healing almost any injury. I would just avoid high-impact activities for now until you have recovered completely. You may also lose weight in the process. Also remember that diet is now considered to be more effective at controlling weight than exercise alone, but that both together are the most effective. Do not fall prey to the notion that only a high-impact exercise regimen will melt off those pounds. Studies show that a shorter, more vigorous mix of intermittent high output activity can be more effective at burning fat than plodding long-distance endurance exercise.

• LyricGirl Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 18, 2013
    3. Apr 26, 2014 4:32 AM (in response to countrymom)

Congratulations on this new and exciting journey. Just one thing, make sure that you are wearing properly fitted shoes. Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points