Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

376 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 20, 2014 6:27 PM by MarianaHollo RSS
Kegan36604 Pro 84 posts since
Sep 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 20, 2014 5:25 PM

MapMyRun accuracy for the birds?

Seems like beginning a few months ago MapMyRun accuracy has been consistently reading known distances too long.  For instance, I run what I know to be a mile and it will show up as 1.1 miles or so.  Even allowing for things like not running in a true line, tangents and the like, I believe the readings are flawed.  I base this not only on my own observation of known courses, but I dug out my Garmin 305 and did a side by side comparison.  Plus, checked it against a running buddy with a newer version of the Garmin.  The MMR app is consistently reading "too long".   Why that does make my pace look better, I would just assume have good readings.   FWIW, I did all the suggestions from their site to ensure optimum accuracy (wi-fi settings, updates, etc).  

So, two questions:

1.  Anyone else having this experience and

2.  Any other suggestions for a running app?   RunKeeper, etc?   I'm about ready to change. 

• MarianaHollo Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 20, 2014
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 20, 2014 6:27 PM (in response to Kegan36604)
    MapMyRun accuracy for the birds?

I use RunKeeper daily. Have tried MapMyRun, didn't like it. Though I will admit, The lady voice for MapMyRun is much less strict sounding than RunKeeper!

During our runs, my running partner uses MapMyRun while I use RunKeeper . We run the same exact route, side by side during the entire run, and start our apps at the same time and starting location.  I have noticed the two apps giving different times and distances, consistantly.

For example, RunKeeper tells us that our running distance is: 5.4 miles.

My Partner's MapMyRun tells us that our running distance is: 5.7 miles.

Now I dunno about you, but that's a big difference in my book! Especially when one is trying to keep track of time and distance  and every second counts!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...