Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

404 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2014 4:05 PM by lenzlaw
kingblc Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 21, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 21, 2014 7:08 AM

Loss of Performance

Hello,

I have been very down about my running lately.  I ran a half marathon September 2013 at a 9 minute mile pace.  Then I took the fall and off with only a few sporadic runs until Jan. 2014 when I ran a 10miler also at a 9 minute mile pace.  I signed up for a 1/2 at the end of April, so through Feb and March I was training.  However running has been much harder.  I am struggling to maintain a 9:45 minute mile pace.  This has made me very frustrated.  At first I thought it was becasue of the cold, but it has been very nice out for the past few weeks and I have not had improivement. 

Any idea's on how I lost so much performance in such a short time?  Any idea's on how I can get back to where I was?

Thanks

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 21, 2014 8:14 AM (in response to kingblc)
    Loss of Performance

More like loss of conditioning.  You basically took 3 months off.  You essentially started over after that 10 in January.  Treat it like starting over, go back to basics, hard day/easy day, working in a longer run and some pace work once a week.  You have to rebuild.

Len

• justamaniac Legend 207 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Apr 21, 2014 10:56 AM (in response to kingblc)
    Loss of Performance

Endurance is a fickle thing - just because you were able to run a HM at a nice pace last fall doesn't mean that you will be able to step back into it after taking a bit of a break.  And heads up: it gets harder the older you get.

You'll be able to get back into it just fine - just be careful not to over do it and hurt yourself. Push hard, but not too hard. Be conscious of your limits.

Going into the HM, if you are still off your desired pace from last fall, don't sweat it. Run comfortable, enjoy the event, and then plan the next one.

Have fun!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Apr 21, 2014 4:05 PM (in response to kingblc)
    Loss of Performance

Amazing what the excitement and intensity of a race will do.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...