Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

765 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2014 12:58 PM by jsimms435
stevesflyshop Rookie 3 posts since
Mar 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2014 11:39 AM

10k Improvement Question

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some advice for me to improve my 10k performance. I just completed my half marathon which was supposed to be my "A" race for the spring. I ended up sick 2 weeks before and while I ran, I wasn't real happy with my performance. I'm signed up to do the Bolder Boulder which is always a fun race to be part of, and since my half was a disappointment I really wanted to focus the next month on the 10k. What suggestions does anyone have for changing my training to increase my performance in Boulder? As a background, I (mostly) followed a plan for the half, and spent most of my runs in the middle to upper end of my zone 2 heart rate. Some speed work but mostly hills (it was a hilly course).  Even though I wasn't happy with my overall time on the half, I did run the last mile at what I would like to see as my average 10k pace. I don't think I have enough time to really make a huge improvement, but thought I'd check to see what options were out there. Thanks in advance,

Steve

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 25, 2014 4:34 PM (in response to stevesflyshop)
    Re: 10k Improvement Question

You're right, there isn't enough time to make a big improvement.  One or two tempo runs near or at 10K pace (depends on your planned pace, tempos are normally done at a pace you can sustain for an hour) would help give you a feel for what you want to do.  But with only a couple weeks to go you probably don't want to make a lot of changes to your training.

Len

• eric47ny Amateur 17 posts since
    Apr 12, 2009
    2. May 25, 2014 7:55 AM (in response to stevesflyshop)
    Re: 10k Improvement Question

In the past, I have ran three 2 mile repeats with a mile jog in between bouts, and found that after three or four of these sessions, the average of my three runs is a good pace to shoot for at a 10k race. No real science to support this, but the effort involved with maintaining a 2 mile repeat helps to simulate physically and mentally distress of a 10k race..Eric

• jsimms435 Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 8, 2012
    3. May 28, 2014 12:58 PM (in response to stevesflyshop)
    10k Improvement Question

I don't know if your doing any strength training, but you might try to incorporate some core work. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...