Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1627 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2007 12:31 AM by triandstopme044
spinandrun Rookie 175 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2007 4:09 PM

swimming with wound?

Does anyone know if it is dangerous to enter a swimming pool with a somewhat open wound (road rash).  It's been over two weeks since the injury, but it's not anywhere near completely healed.  Can I get back into the pool without risking an infection?  I did a course of antibiotics, both oral and topical, and I'd wear a waterproof bandage (or 4) if that factors in.  I'd also be wearing a long-sleeved rash guard so that the other swimmers won't be grossed out.
Thanks,
Cheryl

• welshtroll Rookie 70 posts since
    Jun 6, 2007
    1. Nov 28, 2007 4:12 PM (in response to spinandrun)
    Re: swimming with wound?

if the toilets at the pool smell of pee, or there is a floating poo in the shallow end, i'd give it a miss...

the guys at the pool should be able to advise you (if it is a pool where they are hygiene aware enough that the toilet doesn't smell of pee and there's no poo in the pool)

• jwcrew99 Rookie 124 posts since
    May 23, 2002
    2. Nov 28, 2007 4:46 PM (in response to spinandrun)

quote:

Originally posted by spinandrun:

Can I get back into the pool without risking an infection?

No, the chlorine does not kill everything, there is still risk.

Also, you are not supposed to get into the pool with open sores so that you do not contaminate the pool for others.

• triandstopme044 Rookie 1,135 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Nov 29, 2007 12:52 AM (in response to spinandrun)

I suspect the chlorine wouldn't be great for the wound, either. 

Are you using the tegaderm or something similar to keep it moist and promote faster healing?

Road rash svcks.  

• Currently Being Moderated
    5. Nov 29, 2007 1:21 AM (in response to spinandrun)

I will go against the grain and say swim. If the road rash isn't bleeding or oozing, I say get in the water.

• triandstopme044 Rookie 1,135 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Nov 30, 2007 12:31 AM (in response to spinandrun)

quote:

Originally posted by spinandrun:

At least it's not oozing anymore. Ewwww. Sorry. Yes, I'm using tegaderm. Stuff is getting expensive, though. I'm really disappointed about how long it's taking me to bounce back this time. Middle age sucks. The orthopedist had to aspirate my hematoma again yesterday and said if it fills up with fluid again he'll have to 'cut it open'. He also mumbled something about fat necrosis which I think is code for you can't sue me if your leg looks like this forever.
    Cheryl

Necrosis? Yikes, that doesn't sound good. Then again, if you're gonna have something die on you, I suppose it's better it's the fat than much anything else.

Still, keep a very close eye on that.

Sounds like you really took a bad spill.  I suspect the road rash was quite deep, eh?  Took off lots of layers of skin?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...