Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

373 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 29, 2014 5:30 AM by justamaniac RSS
MidgeTheMerciless Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 27, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 27, 2014 9:35 PM

Running Belt/Leash

Anyone out there run with their dogs? I've started running with my beast, but she nearly dislocates my shoulder every three minutes stopping to smell something. The vet suggested a belt-style leash (and more training). Dottie is about 40 pounds. My first question is whether it throws off your gait. A number of models I've seen have other accessories, like water bottles. Are these useful or just bulky? We're running about a mile now, aiming for about 3 miles. Thanks!

• justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 29, 2014 5:30 AM (in response to MidgeTheMerciless)
    Running Belt/Leash

I've run with my dogs and have learned three key things: 1) there is no easy way to run with them without messing up your gait, 2) you really have to work with your dogs to train them to only stop when you say so (not just because they smell something interesting), and 3) it is an awesome experience to see them excited to run with you, thus making it so worth the effort of dealing with a messed up gait and training them. I loved doing it until they got too old to run. But regardless of what kind of a leashing system you use (I've tried several), it's pretty hard to get into a steady gait for any period of time - it's just hard...  But the joy of running with them is awesome.

Here's a blog post with some pictures of one of my dog runs... http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com/2013/04/dog-running.html

Enjoy!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points