Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

306 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 3, 2014 6:24 PM by Damien Howell RSS
girlygirlrnr Amateur 39 posts since
Dec 20, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2014 12:15 PM

Ankle Pain...Tendonitis? Not sure

I was at the end of a 10 mile run last Sunday and a sharp pain came on suddenly on the inside ankle.   It felt like I needed to stretch it out but when I did there was no relief.  It was too painful to run.  I havn't twisted it or stepped wrong.   I did change shoes a couple of weeks ago from a stablility to a neutral and wonder if this is it?   I tried to run a couple of days later and couldn't because it was too painful.   I tried to run this morning and did a walk/run for the first mile due to the pain and then when I started to head home and call it good the pain went a way and I got 2 more miles out of the run.   I've been icing/stretching.....its pretty sore right now.     I had a stress fracture right above where the pain is now about 5 years ago but I havn't had any problems from that.     I have been cycling alot more since it has been warmer and also wonder it it's overuse??   Not sure if it is tendonitis and if so if I can run through it as long as ice and take care of it really well?

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 3, 2014 6:24 PM (in response to girlygirlrnr)
    Ankle Pain...Tendonitis? Not sure

I have seen several cases of triathletes with lateral ankle pain, related to habitually unclippping with one foot first and more often than the other.  Which foot do you habitually unclipfrom the bike pedal with first?  Is this the same side as the ankle pain?

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS

www.damienhowellpt.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points