Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11168 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2014 12:01 PM by EricNelson5421 RSS
SpartanJD01 Amateur 22 posts since
Aug 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 5, 2014 2:32 PM

Night Before (Half) Marathon

Due to unfortunate scheduling, I am running my second half marathon (first was last fall) on the morning of my wife's 40th birthday.  She has requested no party.  I have bought her something very nice. 

Her mother wants to through a small family and friends party at her condo pool.  The night before.  This would mean I spend the evening chasing my 3 y.o. daughter, then driving 1.5 hours home, before trying to unwind and sleep ahead of 6:00 wake up.  Earliest I could see getting home would be 11:00, but we're probably looking at 12:30, realistically. 

Anyone want to tell me that I am overreacting?  Do I just need to tell my MIL that I hope they have fun, but I would be unable to attend.

I really don't care about my time.  I just want to have a good run.  I am working way too hard to piss this away.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 5, 2014 3:38 PM (in response to SpartanJD01)

What they usually tell you is not to worry about sleep the night before the race, but rather the night before that.  Check with your MIL to see if it can wrap up early, and try to make use of others at the party to keep an eye on your daughter.  (I've chased my 3-yo granddaughter around, I know what it's like.)  Good luck.

Len

• justamaniac Legend 189 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. May 5, 2014 8:31 PM (in response to SpartanJD01)

<I'm laughing, but I totally get it....>  First off, don't worry about it, believe it or not, you'll be fine.  Get all of your stuff for your race ready before you take off for your festivities so that you don't have to worry about it when you get home.  Have a good time, just watch what you eat and drink.

The night of my first HM I had to deal with an incredible storm and a teenage daughter that was out in it and stuck on a flooded street, and yes it was almost midnight.  I wound up getting to sleep around 1:30AM for a 5AM wake up. Like you, I was wound up, annoyed at the situation, and frustrated for all the reasons that you are. But despite all that I had a great run, lots of fun, and a great nap after I got home.  It sucks sometimes, but then again, that's why we run - to let it all unwind!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

(what do I know...? I'm just getting old...)

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. May 6, 2014 9:26 AM (in response to SpartanJD01)

I typically don't sleep well the night before a race and like the rest focus on getting good sleep leading up to race day.  When I first started racing I always took a nap the day before a race to balance out the lack of sleep I'd get that night.  Now I've done so many races I know that adrenaline and a little caffiene will get me in gear race morning.  Good luck!

• John Kiheri Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    4. May 14, 2014 8:46 PM (in response to SpartanJD01)

I ran a full marathon after working nights the night before. I got off @ 7:00am and ran@ 0800.  I was fine and had taken a burglary report from one of my fellow runners prior to the race, I was a police officer.  I was fine, was 35 at the time.

It would only be a problem if YOU make it one.

John

• EricNelson5421 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 13, 2013
    5. May 21, 2014 12:01 PM (in response to SpartanJD01)

I agree with John, we do this running "stuff" to have fun, so it's as much fun as you want it to be.

If you are serious about your time, or improving your time, my advice would be to go to more events. 5Ks, 8Ks, 10Ks and 15Ks are a great way to get experience for competing in 1/2 marathons. I do the opposite, 1/2's are my way of getting in long runs for the 10K's I love to compete in. The more events of ANY level you run in, the more relaxed you get about the whole thing, and relaxing a fit body is the key to moving fast at an event you want to de well at (as opposed to events you just show up to run in).

My best 5K run in my 40's was after a night out... alcohol was a factor. I went to the run expecting nothing other than to sober up... and went 30 seconds under anything I had run since my early 30's. On 3/12 hours of sleep... maybe 8 1/2 hours stretched over two nights (first too much work... hence alcohol on night two). Oh, and you need to run at a lot of events to realize that you can't run fast every day....... especially when you get past a certain age... which shall remain nameless... since I don't know when that happened to me... but it did.

If you've done the training, your body will remember. Your mind on the other hand, will play tricks if you let it. Distance running is about putting up with a certain degree of discomfort anyhow... lack of sleep is just one element, and not a very critical one unless you are running at world's or olympics. And even then, a lot of well-trained, thoroughly conditioned athletes can't sleep... hey, go have some fun!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...