Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3304 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2014 9:17 PM by FrenchFit
laserjones16 Rookie 7 posts since
Jun 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2014 4:53 AM

50, Fat and Fed Up

Won't bore anyone with the details.  Athletic by nature, out of shape by circumstances.  Decided that the time has come to regain control, get fit and lose that extra weight (around 20 pounds).  Starting the C25K program on Saturday with a goal of getting fit, losing weight and comfortably running a 5K in September.  Looking for a "buddy", similarly situated, for support.  Anyone interested?

• Marcelo Arruda Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 10, 2010
    1. May 14, 2014 4:13 AM (in response to laserjones16)
    50, Fat and Fed Up

Hi Laserjones16,

It's great that you decided to regain control of your fitness.  My suggestion is for you to start by contacting a local bike shop and see what rides they organize and join them (no cost involved).  Consider these bike rides as "cross training" for your running.  In addition, you will have no impact (less chance of injury) and will be able to talk to other riders during the rides. 

Once you lose your first 5~10 pounds, look for a local running club and join them.  Running clubs are typically very inexpensive (I pay $10/year), and give you a modicum of medical coverage in case you get hurt while running WITH THE CLUB (important to make the distinction).

Once you lose weight and get the biking/running under your belt, consider doing a sprint-distance triathlon (swim=400 yeards / bike=12 miles / run=3.1 miles). 

Best of lucks to you!

• HillSlug98239 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 13, 2012
    2. May 14, 2014 3:01 PM (in response to laserjones16)
    50, Fat and Fed Up

I've been mostly fat but active my entire life. About a year ago, I decided I would celebrate my 50th birthday in September 2015 by completing an Olympic-distance triathlon.So I "get" the motivation of being at that point in your life when you're fed up and ready to change.

I recommend you check out SparkPeople.com. It's a free social networking site devoted to helping people live a healthy lifestyle. The cool thing about it is that there are teams for every imaginable interest, activity, and challenge a person may face. I've found it encouraging to co-miserate with people in the same situation as me and hear from people who have conquered the same demons as me. A lot of people use the site for support and accountability. (I just bore the hell out of my Facebook friends with every workout I do. )

Good luck!

• spbmdtc Rookie 3 posts since
    May 17, 2014
    3. May 17, 2014 6:20 AM (in response to HillSlug98239)
    50, Fat and Fed Up

Depending on the size of the community where you live Meet Up can be a great resource for finding groups.  Join a running group, do some activities, meet some folks!

www.meetup.com

• FrenchFit Rookie 3 posts since
    May 18, 2014
    4. May 18, 2014 9:17 PM (in response to laserjones16)
    50, Fat and Fed Up

Same story, but 10 years older.  That was 1 year ago.  Now I'm running 5K most mornings, 10-15Ks other days. Lost about 35 lbs, and still losing.  No big deal.

And that's my best advice, or "support".  Don't make it a big deal, just make it a permanent change in your life.  If you are going to be dependent on buddies or clubs or group support, I'm thinking there are a great many things that could come along and sabotage your plans.  And take my advise, non-runners have absolutely no interest in your running challenges and accomplishments. None.

Just commit to running, like committing to doing push-ups in the morning or taking out the trash.  Nike's slogan (or Gary Gimore's final words) happens to be the best advise you can receive, and probably all you need to know.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...