Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

529 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 10, 2014 12:28 PM by shipo RSS
GregHo Rookie 1 posts since
May 10, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

May 10, 2014 11:09 AM

Hello! And what's this pain in my legs?

First of all, hello everyone! I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to running.  Today was my longest run @ about 11k and I'm hoping to keep this going and gradually increase my distance so that I can work up to a half marathon. 

My problem is that my 50+ body is starting to push back.  The biggest problem is a fairly stong pain I get in the back of my lower legs.  Today it was just the right leg, but in the  past it has been the left or both.  I'll be about two miles into my run when I feel my muscles tighten up and that's when the pain begins.  Today, I just jogged through it, and as I jogged, the leg loosened up to a moderately comfortable level and I was able to complete the run.

I keep thinking this is muscle pain that will go away with time, but it doesn't seem to be going away.  So, my question is, how to resolve this?  I stretch fairly thoroughly prior to running And that does not seem to make a difference.  Maybe I'm not stretching properly.  Is this something I should see a sports doc about?

I'd appreciate your feedback on this.

Greg

• shipo Legend 433 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 10, 2014 12:28 PM (in response to GregHo)
    Hello! And what's this pain in my legs?

Hey Greg, welcome to the realm of 50+ running; I've been there for quite a few years now and know from whence you speak.

Two comments regarding your tight/painful calf muscles:

1. Do NOT stretch before you run; period, full stop, the end.  Why?  Science and the medical industry have finally figured out what I did back in the late 1980s, stretching before a workout *increases* the likelihood of injury, and can negatively impact the workout as well.
    2. When you start a run, go *real easy* (like barely faster than a fast walk) for the first couple of miles to allow your legs to gradually warm up.  Once warmed up, if you feel the need to stretch, do so then, otherwise, wait until your workout is over.

Keep us posted on your progress.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...