Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

554 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2014 5:08 PM by lenzlaw
amyb1969 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2014 10:26 AM

Achilles Problems

I'm planning to run my first marathon - in NYC on November 2nd!  I'm doing Hal Higdon's plan - and on my 4.5 mile run on Sat, i felt a sudden pain around my left heel.  Limped home.  Iced, elevated, rested and compressed.  Swelling is gone - hurts NONE to walk.  However, when i try to run, it hurts during push off so i can tell it is not healed.  How long does it take the achilles to heal?  Am i out for a long time?

• justamaniac Legend 208 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. May 22, 2014 6:36 AM (in response to amyb1969)
    Achilles Problems

I'm sure that you have already heard this, but AT injuries take a long time to heal.  But it won't if you keep re-injuring it. I've been there, done that. 

Rule #1:  Don't try to do any stretching on it. That makes it worse even though you might think that it needs to be stretched. Don't do it. 

Rule #2: Don't run for 3 to 7 days (or at least try not to anyway...)

Rule #3: When you do start to run again, run easy, avoid hills, and most importantly ice it immediately afterwards.

I injured mine about 4 months prior to a marathon last year and it took me 3 weeks for my AT to finally feel really good enough for longer runs.

Good luck!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. May 22, 2014 6:54 AM (in response to amyb1969)
    Achilles Problems

As justamaniac said, it is slow to heal and must be treated carefully.  Here's a treatment regimen.  Note carefully the time constraints listed in the rehab guidelines.  Good luck.

http://www.nismat.org/patients/injury-evaluation-treatment/lower-body/eccentric-training-for-treatment-of-achilles-tendinosis

Len

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,164 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    3. May 23, 2014 10:48 AM (in response to amyb1969)
    Re: Achilles Problems

I respect your question, but from your post it is not clear that you DO have an achilles injury. Pain around the heel can come from many sources. What was swollen, where?

Nevertheless, the advice you've already been given can help solve a lot of heel pain issues, regardless of origin.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. May 23, 2014 5:08 PM (in response to JamesJohnsonLMT)
    Re: Achilles Problems

Decided not to open that particular can of worms.  I've had heel pain that I thought might be achilles related - a kind of burning pain right on the "point" of the heel where it starts up the leg.  The podiatrist insisted it was PF but it didn't feel anything like the PF I had several years before.  He gave me a cortisone shot which helped for about 3 days.  It took a while but it went away with help from a foam roller.  That's a hard place to foam roll.

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points