Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1881 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2014 12:56 PM by Alibama24 RSS
Alibama24 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 28, 2014 11:10 AM

Advice for beginner

Lets see if I can make this short. 

I completed C25K 7 months ago.  I can run three miles (not easy but I can do it) the first problem is I am really slow.  I run on a treadmill (I know not ideal) 4 miles an hour.  I do have it inclined also.   I would like to increase my pace but not sure the best way to do it?  If I try and do 5 miles an hour I am out of breath after a short time.  Anyone have some advice on how best to do this?

Also my next problem - sorry in advance!  I have stomach issues when I run (which is why I stick to the treadmill)  sometimes it can get really bad and I will ahve to get off the treadmill a few times to go to the bathroom.  I don't know what to do to fix this.  It is very aggravating!  I want to be able to run and enjoy it instead of dreading it every time.  Sometimes I can not complete the three miles running I will have to walk it.  I can walk at the same pace and it doesn't bother me. 

Thanks in advcance for any advice!!

• shipo Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. May 28, 2014 11:24 AM (in response to Alibama24)
    Advice for beginner

A few comments...

• Keep your current 15:00 per mile pace as it is a very good pace for beginning runners.
    • As you progress, DO NOT go faster, go further instead.
    • A good rule of thumb for a beginner to adhere to is to add distance on a percentage basis.  If you're able to run say 3 miles now, work your way up to say 3.3 miles (a 10% bump), and then once you stabilize at 3.3 miles, bump it up another 10%.
    • Once you're able to run 6 miles fairly consistently, then, and only then, should you start thinking about speeding things up a bit.

As for your GI issues, I have found bananas help in this regard; others keep pushing forward until their body gets used to the extra activity.  Keep running long enough, even if initially on a treadmill, and you're body will adapt.

• jsimms435 Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 8, 2012
    2. May 28, 2014 12:10 PM (in response to Alibama24)
    Advice for beginner

I like the advice that Shipo gave.  I would add that if you are going to speed up the treadmill instead of jumping from 4 to 5 mph try just going up .25 at a time and give yourself time to get use to it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points