Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7541 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2014 6:19 PM by Happylegs RSS
orangetang Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 5, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2014 2:39 PM

Is this normal?

About a year ago I was running about a 8:30 to 9:00 minute mile average, since then I havent been running nearly as much, until about 4 months ago.  Starting in Feb. I have been running quite a lot lately( 5 days a week), with really no to little improvement in my mile times(which is currently at around 10:30).  I really just chalked this up to being out of shape and kept working on it, until I bought a HRM 2 weeks ago.  Ive done about 10 runs on the watch since I got it and my HR is an average of 180bpm with high of 193bpm.  Couple of runs being 30 minutes long at 180bpm average. My resting HR is about 50bpm(sitting up watching tv), about 25bpm a minute recovery.  Is this normal?

Weight: 146

Height: 5' 8"

Using Garmin Forerunner 110

• sbkjo Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 11, 2014
    2. Jun 11, 2014 1:25 PM (in response to orangetang)
    Re: Is this normal?

You are probably training too hard. Try to start with 3 times a week, if you can 30 minutes but at low HR, about 70-75% of your max HR. If you don't know it, go with 220-age.

Your training should be at around 140bpm... walk if your HR is too high.

I would then run longer than 30 minutes, but no more than 3 times a week for at least some months.

• Happylegs Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jun 25, 2014 6:19 PM (in response to orangetang)
    Is this normal?

There are a couple of other possibilities other than what has been mentioned.

a) You could have a higher-than-average HRmax.

b) Your device could be giving you false readings.

How do you FEEL when your HR is 180 or 193? The 220-age formula would give you an HRmax of 195. If your max is REALLY 195, and your are REALLY pumping 193 bpm, you should be feeling pretty darn maxed! If that is not the case, then you might want to consider the possibilities I have mentioned.

Years ago, I began a program of training with a  HRM. For several months, I stayed carefully within my target zone. My running became slower...and slower...and slower, until finally I had to walk to stay in my target zone. I was worried, so I made a doctor appointment. He found nothing wrong with my heart, except that I was out of shape. Through trial and error, I eventually found out that I have an abnormally high HRmax. The "target" rate that I was training at was so pitifully low (for me) that I actually lost condition while training at that pace. This may or may not be the case with you, Orangetang.  But you would do well to investigate and figure out what's going on.

Best of luck to you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...