Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

544 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2014 5:52 AM by Stephanieseaward
Stephanieseaward Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 11, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2014 11:42 AM

Double in a Day

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice on an upcoming race. It is a "Double in a day". A 10km race at 8:00 in the morning followed by a 5km race at 9:30 am. It is the 1st of its kind in my neck of the woods. Live in Eastern Canada.

I am trying to figure out strategy and pacing. Should I:

1) run all out in the 10km race and just see what is left on the tank after a break for the 5 km race

2) run conservative in both races

3) run conservative in 10km and all out in 5km

A little about me.... I usually run longer distance races but have been really digging shorter races lately and it works better for my family life.

My best times are:

5km: 21:30

10km: 46:35

Half marathon: 1:43

Full marathon: 3:36

My thought is to aim for a 48:00 in the 10km and then aim for 22:30 or 23:00 in 5km.

Anyone run these type of races? What was your experience?

Thanks

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    1. Jun 11, 2014 11:59 AM (in response to Stephanieseaward)
    Double in a Day

I think the larger question for you has more to do with the frequency of your training runs than you fast you can run any individual event.  If you're an every other day, or even an every third day runner, then I would advise against an all out 10K attempt as you're body will most likely not be able to recover fast enough to do the 5K at any kind of a reasonable pace.

On the other hand, if you run pretty much every day, then your body is used to the rigors of a higher frequency, and should recover well enough to put in a reasonable effort even after an all out run earlier in the day.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
  • justamaniac Legend 207 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Jun 11, 2014 2:36 PM (in response to Stephanieseaward)
    Double in a Day

I did one of those events not too long ago - I ran the 10K easy and then ran the 5K as hard as I could.  The biggest problem I found was the cool-down in between each race.  So I wound up jogging around the area until the gun went off for the second race. The trick of course was not to wear myself out, but not cool down so as to let my legs get stiff before the 5K start.  I took the event as a fun strategy run, i.e., what would it be like to do it?  And yes, it was fun!

Good luck!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• shipo Legend 499 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    3. Jun 11, 2014 8:29 PM (in response to justamaniac)
    Double in a Day

Yeah, back to back runs can be fun and very draining.

Last fall I got recruited as a last minute replacement for an ultra-relay team (had I known what I was signing up for I never-ever would have even considered it much less allowed myself to be roped into joining the team).  The E-Mail I got from the son of a co-worker was poorly worded and made it sound like they needed one person to run on a 6-person relay team in a 36-mile event, however, once I was signed up, I realized why they were asking about my recent half marathon times, and also realized why they sounded disappointed when I told them I'd never run a half marathon.  So, what was the realization?  I had signed up for a 205 mile relay where each member of the team ran approximately 36 miles over six different legs!  To make matters worse, when I climbed into the team van for the first time I realized I was the oldest team member by an easy 25 years!

I opened this post saying these types of events can be "fun", and in spite of my trepidation, I decided to do just that, I ran my first two legs at about a 70% pace with five hours of rest between them; so far, so good.  I ran the third leg with about six hours of rest, and maybe pushed the pace to 75%; still feeling okay and loving the event.  My fourth leg, after less than five hours of rest sucked, partially because I pushed too hard, and partially because there was over 1,000' of climbing in only about six miles.  Leg five, while hilly and difficult, made the previous leg seem easy by comparison, and for my final leg, I let it all hang out and ran by far my fastest per mile pace of the entire event.  Yeah, I was beat at the end, beat and exhilarated, and sharing those feelings with over 4,000 other runners.  Can't wait to do it again this fall. 

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...