Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

940 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2014 7:17 AM by Julie Ann Hackett RSS
Leahh3 Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 12, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 16, 2014 10:38 AM

New Shoes for a New Racer

I recently joined this great group, called Team Fight, that participates in different races to support young adults facing cancer. A bunch of us are racing the New York City Marathon with Team Fight in November, and I cannot wait!

I got some sweet gear and training plans from them, but I am looking for some opinions on which running shoes to get. I only just became interested in racing and long-distance running, so I never really thought much about which shoes were best (I usually just chose the prettiest ones). But now since I have been training more heavily, I feel like it's time to get a good pair. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks!!

Leah

P.S.- Let me know if you're interested in joining Team Fight! I would love to tell you more!

http://ulmanfund.org/teamfight/

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 16, 2014 6:42 PM (in response to Leahh3)

You don't give us any information about yourself as a runner, so we can't make any recommendations.  You have two options.  Go to your local running store with your current shoes and talk to them about your goals and see what they recommend.  Or, "Team Fight" has coaches available. Talk to them.

What I will say is don't buy anything unseen - make sure you try them on.  Make sure you size the shoes correctly - a thumb-nail width between the longest toe and the front of the shoe.  Try on everything the salesperson brings out, run around a little in them, and pick the shoes that feel the best.

Len

• jesperg Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 17, 2014
    2. Jun 17, 2014 2:11 PM (in response to Leahh3)

You can read my opinion and advise about running shoes on my blog.

http://halvmarathon.net/running-shoes2-2/

Hope you find what you seek.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jun 18, 2014 7:17 AM (in response to Leahh3)

I would recommend that you go to a running store where they will be able to analyze your gate.  Most stores have a treadmill that you can run on so they can determine if you pronate or overpronate and then they'll be able to help you determine what kind of shoes you need.  Also, check on what their return policy is.  Nothing is worse than paying for expensive shoes, hating them after a week and then not being able to exchange them.  Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points