Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1751 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2014 3:09 PM by ScottGladden RSS
newbierunsslow Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 18, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 18, 2014 11:37 AM

Newbie: Advice about treadmill & 5k?

I am totally new to running. Like... the "couch" in C25K new.

Time & environmental considerations make the treadmill a necessity (no safe outdoor running spot that doesn't require a lengthy drive).

Is treadmill running better than nothing?

And I know marathon training on a treadmill is difficult if not impossible, but what about a 5k? Can I reasonably train for a 5k (not planning or wanting to do anything other than not finish last lol) on a treadmill exclusively?

• jsimms435 Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 8, 2012
    1. Jun 18, 2014 12:08 PM (in response to newbierunsslow)

Yes, treadmill running is better than nothing.  I would think you could do a 5k while only training on a treadmill.  I have done it before last year.  Your going to find it harder typically to run outside due to weather and other conditions such as hills.  Also, on a treadmill your not generally working as hard since you don't have to generate your own pace.  But, it can be done.  I wouldn't try to do anything longer than a 5k when only using the treadmill though. 

• shipo Legend 452 posts since
    Aug 9, 2013
    2. Jun 18, 2014 12:53 PM (in response to jsimms435)

While I agree with pretty much everything jsimms435 wrote, I have to say this; for every rule there's an exception.

Personally I avoid dreadmills like the plague, however, I know two folks who trained exclusively on treadmills over this last winter (it was pretty rough up here in New England); both individuals logged between 70 and 90 miles per week on the mill, and both competed in the Boston Marathon and logged times in the low 3-hour range in spite of the fact they are both within a few years of being 60.

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Jun 22, 2014 9:13 PM (in response to newbierunsslow)

Treadmill running is certainly better than not running at all. I assume you have a reasonable quality treadmill so you can approximate a normal running stride. That said, a treadmill is a much more controlled environment than the roads. So there are some disadvantages to treadmill running:

• You don't get any experience dealing with adverse weather - rain, heat, cold, wind, etc. - with which you sometimes have to deal in races.
    • You have total control over hills, which you don't have outdoors unless you carefully plan your routes.
    • Unless you have a very fancy treadmill, you don't get any experience with downhill running.
    • Your stride is likely to be a little different on the treadmill, so it's not ideal practice for the roads, especially at longer distances.
    • You have a display to provide instant feedback on your speed, so you don't get any experience calibrating your pace on your own. Many beginners who start out exclusively on the treadmill find that they go out too fast when they transition to the road (and then wonder why they're tiring more easily).
    • You don't have changing scenery as you run, so it takes patience. Personally I can handle about 4 miles on a treadmill about once every 2 weeks - I use it for pace calibration, to avoid extreme weather, or if I'm on travel and there is no safe place to run nearby. The longest I've run on a treadmill has been 7 miles, and that was with both an iPod and TV for distraction.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• ScottGladden Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 15, 2014
    4. Jul 9, 2014 3:09 PM (in response to newbierunsslow)

I did my first 5K last April and my 2nd in May almost exclusively training on the treadmill. I think as long as you are reasonable with your expectations and realize you need to be slower in the real world you'll be fine. During my 2nd 5K I strained my calf and it took about a week for it to recover.

I was forced to the treadmill for all my training for my most recent 10K and it totally sucked. I think once you progress past just starting out that you really need to run outdoors or you run the risk of not properly strengthening your legs and feet. It has been a bit of a mental challenge because I live in an extremely hilly area but once you get past that hills really are your friend when training.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points