Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1440 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2014 7:00 AM by justamaniac
canadamom Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 19, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2014 12:13 PM

new and want to say hi

Hi everyone! Im sort of new to running as its been several years. Prior to having kids i shed 50 pounds with running and felt so healthy and happy. Now 2 kids later i am overweight (196lbs) and unhealthy. My goal is to run a 5k in september and my challenge is going to be finding the time to consistently run. My 2 year old and 3 month old keep me busy, but i know there are people that are busier than me that do it my other challenge will be getting over my self consciousness while running... i feel like every part of my body is jiggling and bouncing with each step but i suppose that will get better the more i run and the more weight i lose! Looking foreward to getting to know the people in this community!

• Bevnken Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 22, 2014
    1. Jun 22, 2014 10:50 PM (in response to canadamom)
    new and want to say hi

Hi Canadamom!

I just completed Day 1 of C25K today and I know exactly how you feel.  I was so glad there was no one around early this morning to see my body jiggling and bouncing, it made me feel so self conscious, but I am hoping it gets better each and every day.  Good luck and if you find out about any tips or suggestions, please let me know!

Bev

• SanJuanita Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 28, 2011
    2. Aug 13, 2014 8:03 AM (in response to canadamom)
    new and want to say hi

ok,ok I am reading and want to start this c25k but have not been able to find out how. Where do I find a schedule for the weeks so i can start.. helpme please.

Oh and congrats on startinf over again..

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Aug 13, 2014 9:19 AM (in response to SanJuanita)
    new and want to say hi

The original is at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.  More info can be found at http://www.c25k.com/.

Len

• MarjorieDeJongh Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 12, 2012
    4. Aug 13, 2014 10:47 AM (in response to canadamom)
    new and want to say hi

Hello, I too am just starting. I am a long time walker  ( I am told since age 15 months) and hope I can speed things up to an actual run. This is a nice site in that I feel less alone. Been my experience so far that people are very supportive of a newbie, even slow and jiggly newbies. People really do seem to give you an "A" for effort.

• justamaniac Legend 208 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Aug 13, 2014 7:31 PM (in response to MarjorieDeJongh)
    new and want to say hi

It's all about moving.... as long as we are more in motion than we are sedentary the healthier we are... Walking is good. Walking is great. Running just get's it done a tad faster.  You burn only a few more calories running vs walking so it's almost a wash. I've heard arguements that the act of running, and the actual jostling of one's internal organs, is actually a good thing. I'm still debating the wear and tear on my knees, ankles, and hips...  But I'm still running...  Keep at it, and do what feels good to you.

-b

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• Dobegirl Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 10, 2014
    6. Sep 24, 2014 5:37 AM (in response to justamaniac)
    new and want to say hi

I too am a newbie.  Just getting back to being active again, as I was at the gym 4-5 days a week for a few years.  Then I let a bad habit creep into my life again. . .smoking.  I've been a smoker for years and have quit on and off.  It's been a huge struggle, but now I've vowed, as of about 5 weeks ago not to pick up another one. . .period.  Haven't had one since.  That's when I replaced the sticks with the C25K program.  ?And I really feeling good.  This is the first time I've ever followed a running schedule.  Got fitted for a new pair of shoes and it's made all the difference in the world.  I'm gradually easing into a pace / stride I feel comfortable with, learning to breath properly and having good posture.  Harder than I thought it would be, but does make a difference.  I keep telling myself speed will come later and for now concentrate on endurance.  A 5K in the next 2 months is my goal and then take it from there.  Any suggestions or tips for this newbie would be appreciated.

• justamaniac Legend 208 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    7. Sep 24, 2014 7:00 AM (in response to Dobegirl)
    new and want to say hi

Welcome to runnng and I hope that you are able to fully embrace it. Some runs will be hard, some will outright suck, but most will be good. There is also the very good possibility in the beginning running won't entirely feel "good" to you... it'll feel like a chore, like a pain-in-the-butt.... until one day you cross some undefinable threshold and your entire feeling about running will change in a positive way. The bottom line is that most of the time you will always feel better after a run than beforehand. Every time you try to find reasons to wiggle out of a run, just remember how good you are going to feel afterwards - you won't regret it.

As far as tips go, my primary advice is to go easy, listen to your body for things that hurt, but press just a little bit more every week. If you are getting bored running by yourself, either spin up some good music to take with you, listen to news or sports, or run with a buddy or a group.

best of luck!

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...