Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

425 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2014 12:32 PM by BarbaraCummings1 RSS
saferunapp Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 23, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 23, 2014 5:08 AM

An app for safe running

I am working on an idea and I want to ask the running community for feedback.

It's a mobile app. During setup, you enter an emergency contact into it. Then when you go running, you tell it that you are starting your run. If the app senses that you have stopped for longer then the preset amount of time (set by the user), say 1 or 2 minutes, it asks you if you are ok. If you do not respond, the app automatically sends a notification to your emergency contact. Letting them know that you were on a run, here is your location and that something happened and you need help. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

• justamaniac Pro 170 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Jun 23, 2014 8:54 AM (in response to saferunapp)
    An app for safe running

Hopefully you'll get a lot of other people to chime in here.. I think that it is a reasonable idea. Have you been able to obtain any data with regards to how many runners/cyclists/walkers/hikers, etc., have gotten into harms way and were not able to communicate?  Also, what happens in poor cell signal areas, such as a trail run or if I'm way out in the country?  If you'd like, you can respond to me via private message.

I'm interested in seeing what other runners think.

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jun 25, 2014 12:44 PM (in response to saferunapp)
    An app for safe running

I agree, sounds like a great app.  Definitly something I would consider using since I usually work out while no one is home and if something happened, it would be a few hours before anyone realized.  Good luck!

• BarbaraCummings1 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 8, 2014
    3. Jun 30, 2014 12:32 PM (in response to saferunapp)
    An app for safe running

I love the idea, too. Sometimes I change my mind last minute and take a different route than what I told my husband so if something happened, this app would be a great one to have.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points