Skip navigation

44594 Views 209 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2011 7:25 PM by cpweaver RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 14 Previous Next
  • GILATAV Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Dec 5, 2005 7:03 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)
    Re: Plus Size Triathlete

Hi Melissa

My name is Gilat and I live in Israel. while searching for a triathlon suit for plus size women I've reached your message.

I'm a very large women and I'm 37 years old with a strong will to do my first sprint triathlon in 27 - MAY - 2006

Last year I did my first minisprint triathlon and I decided that the next one is the sprint ... (who knows what next)

Sorry for my poor english, but Israelis speaks hebrew!

please - write me to my e-mail : avgilat@walla.com

and I'll be more than happy to stay in touch and to share my difficulties with you and whoever want to.

YOURS

Gilat

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Dec 5, 2005 4:53 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Your English is very good and much much better than my Hebrew.  What's it like to bike ride in Israel?  My last post was a month ago and the weather was still great, was getting in rides on the weekend, too dark to ride after work during the week.  Even two weeks ago it was still nice, now it's not.  Snow on the ground and temperatures below freezing for about a week now, and it's only December 5th!!!!  The temperature this morning was 5 degrees above zero (Fahrenheit) that's COLD!!!  So it's back to the gym and weight training three times a week, a spinning class once or twice a week, time on the treadmill, and I've been working on my swimming.

Jul 9, 2007
    18. Dec 6, 2005 12:22 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

WOW... TODAY THE TEMPERATURE IN THE MORNING WAS 65 DEGREES ABOVE ZERO -FAHRENHEIT... AND AT NOON IT'S GOING TO BE ABOUT 78 ... SO NO SNOW AND NO RAIN... GREAT CONDITION FOR BIKERS! THE WINTER IS DELAYED AND ITS HOT!!!THE BIKE RIDING IN ISRAEL IS WELL-DEVELOPED AND ON SAT. EARLY MORNINGS YOU CAN SEE A LOT OF MOUNTAIN-BIKE-RIDER'S GOING FOR A THREE-FOUR HOURS RIDE IN THE FOREST.

WHEN I BOUGHT MY BIKE (RALEIGH M80) I DIDN'T THINK ABOUT DOING A TRIATHLON OR SOMETHING THAT LAST MORE THAN HALF AN HOUR WITH THEM... BUT NOW I KNOW THAT WITH THE WILLPOWER EVEN MY BIKE CAN DO WELL...(I BELIEVE THAT EVEN "RALEIGH" WON'T BELIEVE ME)

I'M TRAINING IN 1.5KM SWIMMING IN THE SWIMMING-POOL. ITS TAKING ME ABOUT 41 MIN.(NOT SO FAST BUT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME) I DO IT TWICE A WEEK.

I'M ALSO TAKING AEROBIC-DANCE LESSONS ONCE A WEEK FOR 60 MIN.(I LOVE IT BECAUSE OF THE MUSIC) AND BELLY-DANCING (PLEASE DON'T LAUGH) ONCE A WEEK FOR 90 MIN.

AND LAST AND MOST PAINFUL - RUNNING... I CAN ONLY RUN SOMETHING LIKE 1.5KM ... I DO IT ONCE A WEEK TOO. (AT NIGHT WHEN NOBODY CAN SEE)

I DON'T TAKE ANY WEIGHT TRAINING (I KNOW I SHOULD) AND I KNOW THAT IN February I'M GOING TO START MORE INTENSIVE TRAINING BECAUSE I WANT TO DO WELL IN MAY SPRINT TRIATHLON... WWOOOOWWW  WHAT A GOAL!

TELL ME MORE ABOUT YOUR TRAINING AND GOALS.

• cgrenfell Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    19. Dec 9, 2005 11:56 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Wow, you are ALL very motivating.  I am what the normal tri community would consider a "Clydesdale", 5'11, 240lbs.  I must say taht when I race, I sure beat a lot of "skinnies" to the finish line. I have been racing for 3 years now and I really enjoy it.  Although, when I cross the finish line I might not tell you that, I really do.  I have a few Olympic distance tri's under my belt and would love to one day complete a half ironman.  This summer I will be doing 1 or 2 olympic distance tri and 2 or 3 sprint distance tris.  I am also going to train or AND COMPLETE my first marathon (Salt Lake City).  Thanks for being honest and most of all, no matter your body type/shape, have fun in what ever you do, just do some thing.  Thanks again and keep on trunking. 

PS you may want to read everyman triathlon (http://www.everymantriathlon.com/).  Roman is a Clydesdale from Boulder and very honest about himself and his racing.  We have raced together in some of the same races, he beat me by-the-way.  Anyway, a good read, worth saving in your Favorites.  -cg

Jul 9, 2007
    20. Dec 11, 2005 6:32 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Thank you all and I visited the website of this great triathlete (http://www.everymantriathlon.com/) it's really inspiring!

Thanks also for the nice pictures. in my e-mail  !

Have a wonderful week!

Gilat

• slowfat Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    21. Dec 30, 2005 3:18 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Hey -

Just stumbled across this message. The book that someone recommended is Slow Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams. It's easy for me to remember that because I wrote it...

Also, about the plus-size clothing - an ongoing issue! Junonia has some cute workout clothes in plus sizes, but no tri-specific gear. I have to get with them about that! Also Terry, a women's bicycle company, makes nice plus-size bike shorts and jerseys. But again, as far as I know, no tri-specific stuff. I wear men's tri-shorts and a tri-type singlet, myself. Email me at jayne@slowfattriathlete.com if ya need more advice or a pep talk.

Cheers

Jayne

• trilinn Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    23. Jan 19, 2006 8:46 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Melissa,

A couple years ago after watching an Ironman on TV I told my husband that I wanted to do it. He was sooo encouraging when he told me it would take me 10 years. Lets just say I didn't run right out and start training. Anyway, one day last year at the gym I saw a sign for Team in Training and decided to go to the informational meeting. Team in Training is part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They train people to do events Triathlons, Marathons, and Century Rides. I stepped outside myself and signed up. It was one of the best things I have ever done. Last April, I completed the St. Anthony's Triathlon- an olympic distance Tri.

I am not a huge girl but at 5'3" 215 pounds I am not thin by anyone's imagination. I have been reading everyone's advice and think I will be buying/borrowing a couple of books. Also, The clothing... I decided to not put a lot of money into clothing last year. I ran the tri, With a pair of cotton (I know cotton is not the best to exercise in:-) legging type shorts and a tank top. I put my wetsuit (came with the registration for team in training- but had to get the size for someone 5'11-6'5" inorder for it to fit my girth. This caused me some breathing problems and chaffing on my arms during the swim. In hind sight I would have rather swam in a regular suit.) Anyway, I put my shorts and tank under the wetsuit. Then put my bike shorts over the cotton ones and put on a dry tank. I was simply determined not to spend more money. My advice would be find something that works but try it out ahead of time! I decided to change my wet tank for a dry one, as I mentioned, I was going to do the put dry one on, take my arms out of wet one and pull it out from under dry one. Good idea since, I didn't want to expose my not so svelte self to the world. Here is the problem, it didn't work. I got myself all tangled up. I decided to whip the wet one off fast and whip the dry one back on. What happened I fear will one day come back to haunt me. I had somehow in the process taken part of my bra off and when I took the wet one off- possible exposed myself to the world. I am not sure, but I fear someday I will meet someone and their relative was in the event and we will look at pictures and wallah! The best part is I managed to put the dry tank on backwards and didn't figure it out until halfway through the bike ride.( not the most convient time to fix it.) I left the day with a nice patch of sunburn on my back  where the V in my tanktop was!

After all this trauma:_) I am doing it again this year! I am not ready to say I am hooked but I want to do it now that I know what to expect. Don't really like having to be called a Clydesdale!

This is long but one other thing that helped me. I had a number of goals but they were all contingent on each other. Main goal- finish! Next- Finish before they close the course. Next- Not be the last person. Next- not be the last person from my team. Finally- finish in under 4hours. I completed all my goals! I finished in 3 hrs. 39 min.

Keep going!

Linn

• trilinn Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    25. Jan 22, 2006 8:03 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

How long do you have until your event?

Sounds like you have been doing some great preparation.

Linn

• tridoc13 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    26. Feb 6, 2006 5:09 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Hey, Melissa! Congrats on joining the tri community and making such a healthy change in your life! I too am a plus-sized triathlete. I did my first one in 2000 weighing nearly 300 lbs. and have done 6 more since then. My goal was to lose 130 lbs. and I'm about 1/4 of the way there right now. I'm working toward the goal of doing an Ironman by the time I turn 40 (I'm 35 now) and am having a fabulous time on the way there. I've met so many great people through triathlon, and it is now a way of life for me. If you're interested in some additional online support, consider the Clydesdale Virtual Racing Team (www.cvrt.org). There is also a triathlon list associated with this group. They've been a great resource for me over the years and several of them I now consider good friends. Keep up the great work, and feel free to contact me off-list if you ever want to chat at tridoc13@yahoo.com .

Jane

• Roy@skyventure.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    27. Feb 6, 2006 6:56 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Here is a place that I found to get things for my wife.  She is a plus size too.  http://www.teamestrogen.com/

Don't wait. Life is short. Doing the triathlons will be fun and encouraging in your training. I am not sure where you were and are in your fitness and such but I started at 275 and am now 205 - in perfect health and now ... I actually win races in my group - it really is a miracle!  It did not start that way though.  So, just do it, have fun, meet people, and do not compare yourself to others.  Our image of what a woman should be is twisted.  Be fit, be healthy, and be satisfied with the result. 

One last thing, take it or leave it .... I never use negative words.  Loose weight (you are not loosing anything ... you are GAINING health and fitness) - Diet (has negative connotations, you are fueling), working out (it is not work it is fun, and you ARE an athlete so you TRAIN), you are not fat (you are an Olympic caliber athlete whose body is surrounded by a foreign mass that is keeping you from being in optimal health - it is NOT YOU). 

Have fun - I am very excited for where you are and where you are heading. 

Roy McConnell

• suedanmartin Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    28. Feb 6, 2006 8:36 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

M,

After a local 20 mile trail running race with nearly 5,000 verticle feet of climbing, as my wife and kids stood over the carcus laying just beyond the finish line, my wife said, ?My god, you are by far the biggest person who has come across the finish line.?  I am 6?4? and 220 pounds. 

You have to decide what your personal goals are: mine are having the ability to do outdoor sports on a whim while eating whatever I want because I really enjoy eating.  Yours may be to lose weight, in which case you might listen to the no sugar guy. 

I used to get caught up in all the hype about having this and that, better to look good that do good, I need aero bars, etc?  A couple of years ago I did my second triathlon on virtually no training because I had a friend doing his first.  I showed up with a coke and a sticky bun an hour before the race with all the people and their performance drinks and goo.  In a race of 150 people, I was one of three who did not have a wetsuit for the swim.  As I exited the lake, my friend was waiting for me; unfortunately because he had an asthma attack 200 yards into the swim and dropped out.  I seriously thought about quitting because he was the only reason I did the race.  But I stuck it out.  For perspective?s sake, I got caught up in my expensive sexy little triathlon tank that I bought for the first one when I was twenty pounds lighter.  My friend had to work out the origami in the transition, which took me nearly six minutes to complete. 

I started the next phase of my race on my trusty steed?a front-suspension mountain bike.  And that?s when I had the epiphany.  I usually do these things all out and kill myself.  I was actually enjoying this one, so much so, I was officer friendly as I was coming against traffic on the out an back bike course, ?Hey how are your doing?? and ?Great job.?  I?m proud to say that I did not get passed by anyone on the bike, and in fact, passed about ½ the field.  There?s nothing that pisses someone off more than when you pass them on the rough shoulder on your crappy old bike when they spent $3,000 saving a few pounds on theirs.  I passed the only other mountain bike I saw in the race (he was doing the sprint) a mile before the transition. 

I don?t think I broke 50 minutes on the run because I was enjoying MY race so much.  We decided to stick around for the awards ceremony to see who won, and when they announced my name for second in my age category, I could have fainted.  I chalked the fainting up to lack of calories so I ate a couple of Ding  Dongs.

My point is that normally I have all these goals that I get wrapped up in, and I remember this race as the most fun I have ever had.  I imagined all the people looking at this enormous man walking up to the podium and thinking to themselves, ?Was that the fat guy in the swim suit who said hello to me while passing me on his mountain bike??  

With that being said, I have a triathlon in April that I plan on dropping 15 pounds for and know exactly what my goal splits are.  I?ll be easy to find in the pool, but if you want to see me in the meantime, you might have to look in the closet where I?ll be snacking on some creamy filled sugar pastry.

Take pride in your full figure while riding your cross-bike and enjoy YOUR race,

Ding-Dong Dan

• gogoracer Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    29. Feb 6, 2006 9:52 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

I am so happy to have come across this message board.  I have done several 5k's in the past because I was married to a great runner and tried to be a part of the things he enjoyed. I have also done an Adventure race and a Muddy Buddy race. I never found that passion for running or got that runners high my former husband told me about.  Last year when we separated after 12+ years, I thought I would show him and step it up a notch to triathlons.  I LOVED IT!!!! I did an all women's sprint tri and had the time of my life. I can't wait to do it again this year.  The combination of the multi sport and the support of the participants was awesome.  I have planned several sprints for this year ending with an Olympic distance. 

I also ran my first half marathon and marathon last year.  The half was by far more enjoyable.  I am a big girl (5'10, 210) and put up some big times...8 hours to be exact for the marathon.  I may have finished among the skinny speedwalkers but I ran the entire thing!!!!

I loved the triathlon so much that I have also set the goal of completing an ironman at age 40.  I am 34 now so I have time to get my marathon time down. 

I completed my tri on my mtn bike...and got lots of encouragement from other racers.  I purchased a mens XL, maybe XXL wetsuit at Costco for $40.  This year I will not use a wetsuit, it restricted my breathing during the swim.  I have not found any Tri wetsuit made for larger women, but I keep looking.  They all seem to stop at 170lbs.

It is encouraging to read about other women tri racers that have the same struggles. Thanks for all the people who have posted their stories and tips.  You are all inspirational.

1 2 3 4 ... 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...