Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

609 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2014 4:00 PM by Paulwhitcomb2
JoannaMacCormac Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 9, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2014 8:42 AM

Having Trouble With Breathing?

I've been consistently running for the past 3-4 years or so.  This past spring I did a half marathon and have been doing 5k's in around 25:00.  I have been running actively 3-4 days per week, 3-5 miles each time.  However, in the past few weeks (especially during cross country practices and intervals) I have been unable to catch my breath, yet I don't feel tired.  I was doing fine earlier this year and was satisfied with my running, and I do not know what is happening for me to feel like all this progress has been for nothing? Any suggestions or breathing exercises or something so I can feel normal again?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jul 18, 2014 7:23 AM (in response to JoannaMacCormac)

It's possible you may have developed exercise-induced asthma, or you have allergies that are affecting your breathing.  One sign of this would be wheezing.  Try posting in The Med Tent.  There are a couple people responding post there who may be able to give you a better answer.

Len

• JoaneEvans Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 23, 2014
    2. Nov 24, 2014 12:47 AM (in response to JoannaMacCormac)

Hi here's a really Cool video of Bobby Mcgee with an interesting question about breathing and how he teaches various breathing patterns to his athletes http://triathlonresearch.org/breathing-patterns-tri-research-hangout-part-17/

• Paulwhitcomb2 Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 25, 2014
    3. Nov 27, 2014 4:00 PM (in response to JoannaMacCormac)

This (or something akin to it) happened to me a few years back, when I ran my adrenals down. Your adrenals and your respiration are intimately linked. If your training has been consistent, with no big increases in either pace or distance, I might ask if you are under other unusual physical, mental or emotional stress right now. These things can combine and conspire to run your adrenals down.

I deal with labored breathing on an on-going basis and have made strides (no pun intended) with nutrition, supplements, change of locality for better air quality, and most importantly for me, deep relaxation and quality sleep.

What Len said is true: Exercise-Induced Athma, in my meager opinion, is actually a symptom of adrenal fatigue.

He is also right about allergens: When I vaccuum my apartment at least twice a week, I run better!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...